Thread: Overseas drivers license conversio question

Default Overseas drivers license conversio question

Hi All,

I've started the process of converting my Canadian drivers license to an NZ one. I'm confused about the requirements.

Ontario has a graduated licensing system similar to New Zealand. There is the G1 (learners) where you have to be supervised to drive, and the G2 license whereby you can drive unsupervised with a few restrictions (0% blood alcohol), then after 8 or 12 months (depending on whether you take a defensive driving course) you can become a fully licensed G driver (no restrictions).

I got my full G license November 2012 so I've had it for just over a year now, but prior to that I had my G2 for 5 years. The Ontario drivers license does not have any information about driving history so the issue date on the licence is November 2012, and thus there is no "proof" that I've got more than 2 years driving experience or that I've held a valid drivers license for more than 2 years. I'll have been in NZ for one year come February so I have to convert my licence soon.

The website seems pretty clear (to convert without taking a test you have to "have held that licence for more than two years") and since I haven't had my G licence for more than 2 years, I went in to book my test. However, the person at AA told me I should look into getting a drivers abstract so that I don't have to take a test, so now I'm confused about what the requirements actually are. I've been a licensed driver, able to drive unsupervised for more than 6 years but only been fully licenced with no restrictions for just over one 1.

Am I able to convert my Ontario licence to a full NZ licence? Has anyone got any advice on this?
    Thanks a bunch!

As it says here http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/fa...-licences.html
    Practical test

You do not have to sit the practical test if:

you have a licence from Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom or the United States of America, and
    your licence is current (or has expired within the last 12 months), and
    you have held that licence for more than two years.

You may need to provide proof of the issue date of your overseas licence.
    Notice the last line - I think this is what the official is pointing out to you. The system in Canada must have on record how long ago you earnt the right to drive unsupervised, even though that information isn't on your current licence. If you get a statement from them, you won't have to clog up the NZ system by taking the test when you aren't required to.

Get your driving abstract from Ontario. It'll show your full licencing history. Then just rock into the AA, eh?

Why not just wait for another year and then convert your license?

Because he needs a valid NZ licence come February, or he'll be breaking the law.