Thread: Changes to immigration status after partnership ends up

Exclamation Changes to immigration status after partnership ends up

Hi there,
    I have a massive dilemma and need your advise on a very delicate matter.
    Me and my partner arrived to NZ couple of months ago. Both from Germany. Both on the same temporary residence visa (that is issued for 2 years) with intention to apply for a permanent residency after 2 years. My partner has a skilled job here in NZ and he is a principal applicant. I came as his partner and visa in my passport is identical to his. I recently found a job and finally can enjoy my life in NZ without stressing out about $$$. Only if...
    Last week I found out that my long-term (6 years together) partner has a love affair at his work place. He denies it by saying that my imagination is playing up and I was in the sun too long... I was confirmed the fact that my partner has an affair by several people and I know it is true.
    Now there is a big decision in my life to leave him and start my independent life on my own but what about our temporary residence visa?
    What will happen to my visa as I am not a principal applicant but his partner? What will happen and what options do I have after I let immigration officer to know that I am not longer with my partner?
    How will this affect my visa and my immigration status? Will I have to leave NZ?
    As I said I just started new office job and want to stay in NZ and become a permanent resident or citizen one day. It is a heart breaking decision and at the same time I am so angry because if I walk away from him it doesn't affect his immigration status whatsoever as he is a principal applicant and I'm his partner. If I have to leave the country it is highly unfair because there is no protection for the partners that have been cheated on and messed around by their other halves.
    Please can anyone share their knowledge and views on this matter.
    I was trying to find answers to my questions on immigration website but it seems they don't cover such delicate issues.

Many thanks
    Caren

You have Residence. There is provision for you to qualify for Permanent Residence in your own right in the event of the partnership splitting up. See RV1.20.1, here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/45650.htm

Incidentally, there is no such thing as temporary residence. The visa that you have, the first one granted under SMC, would allow you to stay permanently in NZ: it is the two years' travel conditions that come with it which expire, and which mean that you need to do something different to enable you to continue to be allowed to travel and still return freely to NZ.

Thank you so much for explaining this to me. Now I feel so much better!