Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caravan import-Anyone done it?

They are very cramped, floors move when you walk on them, just not built for New Zealand roads.
    Pacific Horizon, New Zealand, is one of the best.
    Each experience to their own. But I don't have to look far to see NZ craftsmanship, just look at how new houses are built today. Space is not an issue as i'm certain NZ coach builders too can do similar arrangements as done overseas. What differences in quality I see is in NZ, there isn't a lot of options to choose in hardware and appliance fitting. Efficiency too doesn't ring a bell (ie. use of MDF vs plywood) - for heavy coach Class A and C motorhomes, weight is less of an issue so MDF cabinetry is the proven choice. But as I said before, B class conversions is a horse of a different colour so weight and space optimisation in for such van conversions made in NZ just doesn't cut it. I prefer the fridge/freezer to be fixed above ground and eye level ; because anyone can build RV cabinetries with the fridge/freezer mounted under the table. A quick look at the Maui Britz rentals (NZ fitted conversions) tells me that in NZ, they're not up to what is done in Europe for B Class conversions. What's the deal of fitted fridge/freezers that don't run on LPG in these B Class conversions in NZ? I put it down to laziness and cost.

Hi all,

Im just in the middle of trying to sort something similar for a Caravan at the minute. Interested in any others that have done the same.

Paul - Id be interested to hear your views of the shipping company you used as that is one of the quotes I have had.

Price wise the exact caravan that i'm purchasing even with adding shipping and charges etc is still $10k cheaper than what I can buy here for.

Just interested to hear about claiming vat back!

Thanks

A report out by the motorhome association on importing motorhomes/caravans, warns that being imported doesn't make them safer to drive or superior workmanship.
    The 2008 Fiat Ducato which there are quite a few in the country, has turned up bad cracks, about 40cm long, on both sides of the chassis. Owners have been advised to have an engineer check their vehicle.
    Just one of the faults that are coming to hand.

Just interested to hear about claiming vat back!
    You're best not to pay the VAT in the 1st place. A lot depends on the dealer you're buying from in the UK because there's paperwork involved. UK MOT needs shipping docs to prove the vehicle is actually leaving the UK (a broker will help). MOT deregistration, etc. So if the dealer says you have to pay VAT, you're best to go elsewhere.

It is not necessary to have engineer check on a brand new vehicle. As an AA rep working for NZTA on importing vehicles advised me, what matters is the vehicle's EU type # tag affixed to the vehicle. But if the quality of the RV conversion is of concern, you're best to go with a large company that can afford to do EU testing on accredited 'proving grounds' for their conversions. Our motorhome was made by Swift and when it arrived, it came with full documentation of such tests done. This paperwork made it that much more easier for passing NZ registration and compliance inspection. https://www.swiftgroup.co.uk/the-swi...gorous-testing

I'm also quite certain no NZ build RV would have or bother with such expensive testing requirements that Swift does.

Default Caravan import

Quote Originally Posted by paul rea View Post
    HI Lindsey,

I imported two caravans earlier this year, one for me and one for a friend. I found the whole process quite easy. I used a shipping company in the Uk (ship fromuk.com) who also arranged for the vans to be picked up, one from a dealer and one privately. They both fitted in a container so from memory the shipping costs for both was 2050 gbp. You do have to pay duty and gst. Once they arrive at your destination you simply take your paperwork to customs who give you the all clear to tow away. I took mine straight round to VTNZ had the Wof done then took it home.

Seriously the only slight hitch was the size of my tow ball, I had to get a 50mm one for the stabiliser that most modern uk caravans come with.

One thing I did forget was insurance, I thought it was included in the shipping but when I checked when they were on route found out that they weren't. Nervous few weeks but all was well.

Any other help you need just shout.

I am looking at importing a motorhome next but there is definitely a lot more hurdles with that one.

Cheers
    Hi Paul,

What size were the caravans? What was the total cost including duty, GST, Rego, warrant, insurance if you remembered haha....? Did you get VAT back? How did you get on with wiring any issues in NZ?
    Probably have more questions....We are in UK now and seriously thinking of sending a couple back to NZ for the family.

Cheers,
    Aaron

Default Caravan import

HI Lindsey,

I imported two caravans earlier this year, one for me and one for a friend. I found the whole process quite easy. I used a shipping company in the Uk (ship fromuk.com) who also arranged for the vans to be picked up, one from a dealer and one privately. They both fitted in a container so from memory the shipping costs for both was 2050 gbp. You do have to pay duty and gst. Once they arrive at your destination you simply take your paperwork to customs who give you the all clear to tow away. I took mine straight round to VTNZ had the Wof done then took it home.

Seriously the only slight hitch was the size of my tow ball, I had to get a 50mm one for the stabiliser that most modern uk caravans come with.

One thing I did forget was insurance, I thought it was included in the shipping but when I checked when they were on route found out that they weren't. Nervous few weeks but all was well.

I am looking at importing a motorhome next but there is definitely a lot more hurdles with that one.

Cheers
    Hi Paul,

What size were the caravans? What was the total cost including duty, GST, Rego, warrant, insurance if you remembered haha....? Did you get VAT back? How did you get on with wiring any issues in NZ?
    Probably have more questions....We are in UK now and seriously thinking of sending a couple back to NZ for the family.

Cheers,
    Aaron

HI Lindsey,

Cheers
    Hi, we are looking to do the same thing. What sizes were the caravans in the container, were they strapped in? Was there any damage? Are they unloaded from the container before you see them? Thank you for your time.

Hi Paul. I have read your post and am in the process of wanting to buy two caravans just as you did. Please can you make contact, as I have a few questions that I am sure you could help with.
    Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12