Thread: Received Job Offer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Received Job Offer

Hello everyone,

I just received a job offer I will be applying a work permit for it. My question is, is it worth while to submit together an EOI for residence application?

If the job is a skilled one, and you have at least 100 points, then you could certainly put in for Residence at the same time. Residence, once you get it, gives you the right to live and work in NZ permanently, not tied to any particular job, whereas a work visa is always dependent on a job - if you lost the job, then you'd also lose the visa. And just because you get ONE visa for a particular job, it doesn't mean INZ must give you another one when that expires.

Yes, very worthwhile to submit Residence application at the same time as your work permit application, especially when you could just do two sets of docs at the same time. I think Residence application needs a few more docs than work permit. Things that are time consuming would the police certs from Singapore CID and any pending docs you need to compile.

I am having a question about this as well. We currently have a pending EOI with 135 points, 15 claimed for work experience in a long term skills shortage area so eventually we shold get picked. My husband is looking for work, but we continue to encounter the You must have a permit or visa to apply. Yet, immigration says job offer first, then visa. Sigh, have I missed something? Is there a work permit I can get before applying or just keep at it, get job offer and then get work permit?

Work visas not linked to jobs are limited to special circumstances, for instance, if you're the partner of a NZ national or visa holder, or a working holiday visa.

You're not the only person to encounter this situation. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....952#post359952