Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Job Offer, SMC, Work Visa

Default Job Offer, SMC, Work Visa

Hi everyone,

I just received a job offer and I will be applying for work permit soon. Although I've been thinking about Work To Resident path, I'm aiming to get citizenship (to really settle down) with a shortest span so I guess SMC would be a viable option for me.

I plan to submit an EOI however since I will be starting in March soon, I am a bit confused on what address I will be using as I'm currently in Singapore however I will be relocating soon. Any advice on which address will I be using?

Also together with my work visa application, is it possible to be apply for my wife a visa at the same time or is it necessary to wait until the my visa is given? Will this (partner's visa) be a work visa as well?

Many thanks!

Congratulations on getting a job.
    Since you have a job offer in hand, SMC should be much easier for you compared to those who do not have a job offer during the application stages.
    You can put in your Singapore address when you fill your EOI from Singapore. This can be updated later to your NZ address when you have it.

If you are applying for a work visa , i believe your wife will have to wait until your work visa is approved. Your wife will be getting a kind of dependent visa & not work visa as you have the job offer.

Seniors can throw more light , if i missed anything.

Good Luck!

Thanks rv1103.

I understand that for Singapore applications, normally it would be processed by INZ Hong Kong branch. If ever we receive ITA after moving to NZ, would it be possible to lodge the application in NZ instead?

Whatever visa you are applying for, you put in the application to the INZ office that covers where you are living at that time. It doesn't matter if you then move house, and even move countries - INZ will automatically transfer your case to the office covering where you have gone to, as soon as you notify them. All the working of the case is held on their computer system, so it can be accessed from anywhere by the new CO, and the actual paperwork will be sent on very quickly.

When you apply for a work visa, you can apply for a visa for your wife at the same time. It is a partner-sponsored work visa that she will get. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm This is an open work visa, meaning that she will be entitled to take any job she is offered, and it will match yours for length of time. You send in all the forms, etc., required for her application, as well as the ones required for your work visa, with a covering letter linking the two cases, and the official will work the two as one case, supplying things you won't know at the beginning, such as your visa number and details, as they become available. Don't worry - many families on the forum have gone through this process.

You can apply for the work visas and put in an EOI at the same time or shortly afterwards, and much of the evidence will overlap - you will be able to tell INZ that they already have e.g. police certificates and medicals, qualifications and partnership proof, so you don't need to supply things twice over.

Usually what has been seen is Singapore applications are processed by INZ Shanghai.
    At least , I am not aware of any application being processed in HK.

I believe, INZ will move the application to the country location you are in.

Quote Originally Posted by neojhz View Post
    Thanks rv1103.

I understand that for Singapore applications, normally it would be processed by INZ Hong Kong branch. If ever we receive ITA after moving to NZ, would it be possible to lodge the application in NZ instead?

You can check their latest requirements here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...or.htm?level=2 It seems Shanghai does some applications, but others are dealt with by Singapore office itself.

Another way is, prepare the entire packet for Residence visa between now and March. Please remember to apply for the police cert from CID - they only take a Singapore bank draft and take a few weeks to process. The validity of the police cert is 6 months.

Submit the EOI the moment you land in NZ. You'll receive the ITA within days/1-2 weeks if you're more than 140 points. And then mail in the packet right away. It should be faster than doing it now from Asia.

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for your response. Definitely answered my questions. In any case, my offer is also a conditional offer since I receive this overseas and I still need to apply for a work visa. As I research more, I guess I also need an in principle approval from my employer that they can hire me? The position actually falls in essential skills list however, it seems there are some requirements in LTSSL that I may fall short.. Any advice on this?

To apply for the visa, you have to have a letter from the employer making a firm offer, and you have to send that, as well as the complete contract including all the small print.

You may not need to worry about the LTSSL points since, applying with a job offer, you only need to have a minimum of 100 for your application to get immediately selected. It's hard to comment more helpfully as what you have said is vague.

HI JandM,

Thanks. What I meant was applying under Work Visa under Essential Skills Category. From this link, my occupation is in the essential skills demand list however it says on the 2nd column Long Term Skill Shortage List Requirements that qualification has to be level 7... however I got level 5 last year even though it is a bachelor's degree. I am not applying for LTSSL category though and I'm not sure if this also applies for the essential skills. If it does then I guess to obtain the work visa either the employer can request an approval in principle or otherwise they need to prove that there are no local candidates?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast