Thread: Resident Visa expires outside of NZ

Default Resident Visa expires outside of NZ

Hi everybody!
    It is my first post))
    I lived and worked in Auckland as cabinet maker for 7 years and in march 2012 i got Resident Visa, but about 40 days later i got it i left NZ. And i am still outside of NZ. I am planning to return but not know exactly when. Probably earlier than of 20th march of this year (my travel condition on my visa expires). What if after this date? My Visa expiry - indefinite. And here is my question: What this "indefinite" entitles me to and do i have right to apply for another resident visa? If yes, which one - second or subsequent resident visa?

thanks,
    Ruslan

Hello.

If you want to continue to be a Resident of NZ, you need ideally to get back before your travel conditions expire. (It's the travel conditions which last two years.) While you are within NZ, your Residence visa gives you the right to stay indefinitely, but if you are outside NZ when your travel conditions expire, you will not have the right of re-entry, so your Residence visa would lapse. (You would have to apply for Residence or a different visa all over again if that happened.)

You ask about applying for a second or subsequent resident visa. This would be a real last resort in your case. As you see from the requirements http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm, you could only get this if you would be eligible for a variation of travel conditions. And the requirements for that http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm show that, since you've hardly been in NZ since you were granted Residence, you would only be eligible for the grant of a 14-day variation.

If you go back to NZ while your travel conditions are still valid, if you want to make your life in NZ in the long term, you will then need to be prepared to stay in the country long enough to meet the requirements for permanent residence. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm You won't have the permission to come and go freely from NZ which the travel conditions gave you, unless and until you get them back by qualifying for PR.

thanks for your quick answer

Ruslan

Talk about wanting your cake & eating it too.

What does it mean?

It doesn't matter - it's nothing to do with what you need to do about your visa.