Thread: Visiting NZ annually on a 6 months tourist visa as a long term option?

Default Visiting NZ annually on a 6 months tourist visa as a long term option?

I understand that as a UK citizen I am able to purchase property in NZ... but as I am retired and do not qualify for a permanent visa, can anyone tell me if visiting 6 months of the year is a long term possibility?

The rule is that you can be issued with another visitor visa again, when you've been out of the country as long as you were in it, so six months alternating is doable from the point of view of INZ. You'd need to consider that you would have to pay for your own routine medical care in NZ.

Thank you very much for your reply. I am quite prepared to purchase my own health insurance, no problem there.

I wonder if you might know if there are many other UK passport holders already owning NZ property and living there 6 months per year on renewable tourist visas?

Of course I am working through this excellent website and resource.. . But thank you in advance for any further information you can give me!

Quote Originally Posted by Zaqwertie View Post
    I wonder if you might know if there are many other UK passport holders already owning NZ property and living there 6 months per year on renewable tourist visas?
    I thought there was a limit as to how many times you can do this, i.e. over an 18month period, you can only spend so many in NZ? I'm sure there was some rule that would prevent people from doing this indefinitely.

Thanks for that... as I understand it, staying up to 9 months is possible though then a period of 9 months must follow outside the country...?

It's all set out officially here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd.../0/INZ1018.pdf

Unless otherwise stated under special instructions, visitors to New Zealand are limited to a maximum stay of nine months on a visitor visa. However, we may allow you to stay a further three months if you have financially supported yourself and you have not worked, studied or been sponsored during your stay.

If you have recently visited New Zealand and you wish to visit again, you should be aware that the instructions allow a visitor to stay a total of no more than nine months in an 18-month period. The 18-month period is calculated
    backwards from the last day you intend to be in New Zealand. For example, if you want to stay until 1 December 2014, you should count back 18 months, which would have been 1 June 2013. However, if you have spent a total of 12 months in New Zealand as a visitor, you will have to remain outside New Zealand for 12 months before a further application for a visitor visa may be approved.