Thread: Help with SMC time frames?

Default Help with SMC time frames?

I've been selected out of the most recent EOI for a Skilled Migrant Visa (8 Jan - I have 175 points with a job offer) and just received the ITA by email from INZ.

I've been reading through all the threads on people's experiences with INZ and it seems everyone has really different lengths of time taken to be processed. But my future employer is really keen for me to start by April and I'm worried about having to book flights, etc, before visas come through. Or alternatively, it will be ridiculously expensive to book flights and accommodation at the very last minute if we wait til the visas arrive.

Is this plan below about right?

Medicals & x-rays - doing them this Thursday, we should get them back a week later, assuming nothing unexpected comes up (we're all fit and healthy, but you never know!).
    Police certs - already applied, they should arrive next week.
    All other supporting docs are in place & ready to go.

Aim to submit our application by the last week January.

INZ London say 4-6 weeks processing time - so possibly we could be approved in principle by end Feb??? (This doesn't match up people's experiences here though!)

Then how long does it take to get the actual visas in passports and for them to get to you, a couple of weeks? We're sending passports in with our application, so that we don't slow anything down.

Would be really good to know if we're being ridiculously optimistic… I think our application is straightforward as the job offer is in place and my work exp / qual points are easy to verify.

Thanks.

There is hope, but as you know from reading other people's threads, nobody can guarantee you your processing time. There are things that INZ are obliged to check with third parties, and if those people aren't in a rush to reply, that can cause hold-ups, for example. Then there can be issues in the office that have nothing to do with your own case, but which affect how quickly the CO can get back to yours.

Sorry to be depressing, but it's only fair to HOPE for the best, but BE PREPARED for the worst.

Supposing time is getting on and you haven't received your Residence back, it is possible to apply for a work visa as well, which can be processed more quickly, using the same evidence.

Hi

It is possible. We did it in this timeframe but I had the time to chase everything and worked around the corner from the London branch. I would suggest your best route (funds permiting) is to also apply for a WTR visa. We did this as a back-up and it was turned around in less than a week. That means you will be able to book flights and give the new job a confirmed start date. It's also a big weight off your mind!

As JandM has said you never know what's going to happen or how things will be delayed, but it does seem possible in your timeframe. Ours was pretty quick and that included a medical referral and our CO away on holiday for a short while.
    We chased up things at the end, we had the approval online but no information about where to send our passports, we'd not sent them with the application as we'd needed them. I think that was a further 2 weeks to have the passports in our hands. If you don't need your passports I guess sending them in with everything would help keep it flowing.
    Good luck

Dear...

My husband has applied for EOI and got selected on 08/01/2014 with 150 points but without job offer , can you refer to any resources from where we can get the job offer letter for Network Administrator and get PR instead of WTR.

You need to use Search, and find old threads about how to look for jobs in NZ. There is no short cut to this - each person needs to make contacts for themself, with potential employers in their area of work, or agencies.

Please note, you are using old terminology. When applying under SMC these days, one can either get Residence, or the SMC Job Search Visa. (PR and WTR are now names for totally different visas, so you will only cause confusion if you mention those.)

Quote Originally Posted by Spudgun View Post
    Hi

It is possible. We did it in this timeframe but I had the time to chase everything and worked around the corner from the London branch. I would suggest your best route (funds permiting) is to also apply for a WTR visa. We did this as a back-up and it was turned around in less than a week. That means you will be able to book flights and give the new job a confirmed start date. It's also a big weight off your mind!
    Thanks - I looked into the WTR, but my occupation isn't on the skills shortage list and my employer isn't accredited. So I think that means I'm not eligible for WTR unfortunately? They seem to have tightened up eligibility in that category.

I did wonder about a temporary work visa, but that involves proving no NZer could do the job and a labour market test... Which probably takes just as long as the SMC visa assessment!

Good news it can happen that quickly if you're lucky, though. Refundable tickets it is, then... Not sure what we'll do about booking accommodation.

Thanks JandM I will try my level best to get something useful