Thread: Cheating boyfriend and Residency...

Default Cheating boyfriend and Residency...

Hi,

I have known the forum for a while, but have never really needed to make a post - but this is a bit of an urgent situation.

A couple of months back I got my residency class visa under partnership (my partner is a kiwi)... I unfortunately found out not long ago that he is cheating on me and have several accounts on dating sites and so on
    Problem is, I have got myself a life here now. I work, have a lot of friends and I can't imagine being anywhere else, so I would like to stay in New Zealand.

I am afraid that in the moment I break up with him I will get deported? Can they do anything after I got my Residency? Would they even check up on it?

Thank you all for your kind replies.

Quote Originally Posted by rr81 View Post
    Hi,

I have known the forum for a while, but have never really needed to make a post - but this is a bit of an urgent situation.

A couple of months back I got my residency class visa under partnership (my partner is a kiwi)... I unfortunately found out not long ago that he is cheating on me and have several accounts on dating sites and so on
    Problem is, I have got myself a life here now. I work, have a lot of friends and I can't imagine being anywhere else, so I would like to stay in New Zealand.

I am afraid that in the moment I break up with him I will get deported? Can they do anything after I got my Residency? Would they even check up on it?

Thank you all for your kind replies.
    I say give him the boot. It looks like you are ineligible to support a new partner for a visa for another 5 years.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...tonz/examples/

You HAVE your Residence. You had to prove partnership up to the time when it was granted, but there aren't any conditions on it after the grant. It's the same Residence as if you'd got it through work qualifications, so you can carry on from here and qualify for PR in your own right. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm

Thank you for your replies.

So, JandM: I don't have to notify immigration about our break up at this point?

I don't think there is any obligation on you to do that.