Thread: Level 7 VS bachelor degree

Default Level 7 VS bachelor degree

I have level 7 diploma,but the requirement of the Job I do in ANZSCO list is "bachelor degree or higher qualification " Does my qualification is eligible or not?
    Thank you

If you have a NZ diploma, it's level 6. If you have an overseas graduate 'diploma' it may equal a NZ level 7 qualification.
    Here's the NZ qualifications hierarchy.
    If you have a non-NZ qualification it may need to be assessed by NZQA before applying for a visa, depending on it being exempt or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Elaine_NZ View Post
    If you have a NZ diploma, it's level 6. If you have an overseas graduate 'diploma' it may equal a NZ level 7 qualification.
    Here's the NZ qualifications hierarchy.
    If you have a non-NZ qualification it may need to be assessed by NZQA before applying for a visa, depending on it being exempt or not.
    Thank you for reply my question. My qualification is NZ level 7 diploma, I got it at NZIE http://www.nzie.ac.nz/courses/busine...lied-business/
    Just graduated before Xmas. And I found in immigration ANZSCO job list , this job require "bachelor degree or higher qualification" see here

I see, well then it looks like your qualification is a level 7 graduate diploma which is on the same level as a bachelor's degree.
    I'd ask NZQA for clarifications (not sure how INZ deals with qualification enquiries).

Quote Originally Posted by tedliu View Post
    Thank you for reply my question. My qualification is NZ level 7 diploma, I got it at NZIE http://www.nzie.ac.nz/courses/busine...lied-business/
    Just graduated before Xmas. And I found in immigration ANZSCO job list , this job require "bachelor degree or higher qualification" see here

From the information you provided, I would say your graduate diploma is NOT equivalent to a bachelors degree, even if it occupies the same level on the NZQF. This is a bit difficult to get your head around, so I'll try to set it out in a bit more detail.

A bachelors degree would normally entail at least 360 credits of study at undergraduate level (480 for an honors degree in some circumstances) - the degree will be studied for over 3-4 years on average.

Your qualification has a total of 120 credits, or which 40 are taught at level 6, 40 taught at level 7 and then a further 40 at level 7 awarded for a 3 month internship. You are trying to compare apples and pears.

Luckily, the good news is that NZQA have already done your comparison for you, and a level 7 is a level 7. You have a qualification at level 7 on the NZQA framework, in an area that is relevant to the ANZSCO unit group field of work you are looking at. Looking at the entry criteria, I would say this constitutes the "higher" bit of " a bachelors degree or higher" - as in most cases an undergraduate degree is a requirement for entry onto the course. Your course was "applied" - which goes further than the normal undergraduate degree. i.e. you had to demonstrate application of knowledge, not just the aquisition of knowledge.

Whilst the ANZSCO says most jobs in the skill level 1 in that unit group will have a degree or higher, it's not a pre-requisite. In my job which is a skill level 1, most people have degrees but not all of them do. The key will be mapping the course content of your qualification and your work experience to the tasks listed in the ANZSCO for the classification you are aiming for.

I can't tell if you mean "job I do" is the job you are actually doing or the job you hope to be doing. I'm assuming you've been here on a student visa? Are you now going for SMC?
    Last edited by RedVee; 16th January 2014 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elaine_NZ View Post
    I see, well then it looks like your qualification is a level 7 graduate diploma which is on the same level as a bachelor's degree.
    I'd ask NZQA for clarifications (not sure how INZ deals with qualification enquiries).
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by RedVee View Post
    From the information you provided, I would say your graduate diploma is NOT equivalent to a bachelors degree, even if it occupies the same level on the NZQF. This is a bit difficult to get your head around, so I'll try to set it out in a bit more detail.

A bachelors degree would normally entail at least 360 credits of study at undergraduate level (480 for an honors degree in some circumstances) - the degree will be studied for over 3-4 years on average.

Your qualification has a total of 120 credits, or which 40 are taught at level 6, 40 taught at level 7 and then a further 40 at level 7 awarded for a 3 month internship. You are trying to compare apples and pears.

Luckily, the good news is that NZQA have already done your comparison for you, and a level 7 is a level 7. You have a qualification at level 7 on the NZQA framework, in an area that is relevant to the ANZSCO unit group field of work you are looking at. Looking at the entry criteria, I would say this constitutes the "higher" bit of " a bachelors degree or higher" - as in most cases an undergraduate degree is a requirement for entry onto the course. Your course was "applied" - which goes further than the normal undergraduate degree. i.e. you had to demonstrate application of knowledge, not just the aquisition of knowledge.

Whilst the ANZSCO says most jobs in the skill level 1 in that unit group will have a degree or higher, it's not a pre-requisite. In my job which is a skill level 1, most people have degrees but not all of them do. The key will be mapping the course content of your qualification and your work experience to the tasks listed in the ANZSCO for the classification you are aiming for.

I can't tell if you mean "job I do" is the job you are actually doing or the job you hope to be doing. I'm assuming you've been here on a student visa? Are you now going for SMC?
    Yeah, I'm holding student visa now and am going to apply 1 year open work visa next month. The "Job I do" is mean I already get the job and am start doing it now.

This "level 7 and bachelor degree" problem is very confused, I had asked several immigration advisor and lawyer, all different answer. I had submit question on IMZ website , just waiting for their answer. Hope is positive answer, finger cross.

Thanks for your time and help.