Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overseas driver license conversions

Default Overseas driver license conversions

Hi all,

I’ve just converted my Malaysian driver license recently . Thought I would share my experience here.

English Translation

If your overseas driver license is not in English, you need to have a copy of English translation. This can be done by the Road Transport Department in your home country. I had one done in Malaysia for just RM10.00.

Initially the licensing agent refused to accept my translation copy. The reason given was the translation must be done in NZ. And without checking with NZTA, the agent gave me a list of translators and sent me home.

But the NZTA website http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/resi...ml#translators clearly stated that the copy I have should be acceptable. After calling NZTA to clarify, the agent finally accepted my copy.

Please call NZTA 0800 822 422 if the driver licensing agent refuse to accept your translation copy.

Eyesight Screening Test

When you look into the eyesight screening device, it has rows of letters in random order. The agent will ask you to read a row from left to right. Just read out accordingly.

The device I had was not very clear, or was it a bit dim? I don't know. But the letters were still readable when I squint my eyes a bit (maybe my eyesight is bad??)

Then you will see light either blinks on your left or right. Just tell the agent the light comes from left or right. That’s it. Pretty easy.

Then have your signature signed in the system and your photo taken. You can then set a date and time to take the road code test. You can have the road code test immediately if the test station is available.

Part 1 - Road Code Test

Pretty easy if you have learnt and practiced the sample tests in the AA website. 35 questions in 30 minutes. You’ll have more than enough time to complete the test. I took less than 10 minutes, and the girl beside me, amazingly, less than 5 minutes!

However easy the question is and confident you are, please do choose the answer carefully. You can still change your mind as long as you don’t click the Submit button. Once you hit Submit, you’ll know immediately if you are right or wrong. No chance for you to go back to re-select.

Once you have answered 32 questions correctly, you know you pass. But if you have 4 wrongs, you know how unlucky you are! But of course you can still continue the test for practice purpose.

After you passed your road code test, you can set the appointment for the full practical test. And you’ll be issued a temporary NZ driver license with one very silly condition – to always have a supervisor beside you whenever you drive until you have your full license.

But I broke this rule immediately after I got my temp license – drove to get some grocery and then back home all by myself! Hush…

Part 2 - Full License Practical Test

The testing officer (TO) will have a brief pre-testing check of the car with you. Very simple. He’ll ask you to press the brake to turn on the brake light, to signal left/right, to sound the horn. Then he’ll ask to point to him the hand brake, the windscreen and rear demisters.

Then he’ll explain the requirements of the test. Mine went like this:

TO: When I ask you to turn left or right, then you turn. Otherwise, go straight.

Me: OK.

TO: Any question?

Me: Yes. What about hazard? Do I need to mention when I see hazard?

TO: Hazard? What hazard? There’s no hazard.

Me: I read in the website that we need to mention hazard?

TO: I SAID NO HAZARD!

Me: So no need to mention anything? (me just wanted to make sure even though he was clearly irritated)

TO: em.

Indeed a very stern looking gentleman.

For the next 20 minutes I had no idea where he led me to. All I did was to follow his instructions: turn left, turn right, make a u-turn, move to the right/left lane, etc.

When finally back to AA, I wanted to park at one parking space, but clearly he had another better space.

"Go on, park right in there. What’s the matter with you? That space is our neighbour’s". That space was actually AA parking but I turned in to where he pointed. Like a timid child, I quietly waited for the next BIG moment.

“You pass. Just one mistake” I wanted to give him a BIG hug !

“At one point you didn’t look at the mirror when turn” Thank you sir, I will always look at the mirror when making a turn next time!

He then issued a temp NZ full license right there in the car.

Me: Merry Christmas to you.

TO: Sigh…still need to work during the Christmas break.

Me: Oh…I thought most companies closed for 2 weeks?

TO: Not AA…only off on Christmas and Boxing day.

Me: Do have a good rest on Christmas Day.

TO: Yea…good rest. Ha ha…thank you.

He made my day and in turn I could see him finally had a smile on his face.

So, for those who need to sit for the practical test, it’s no harm to re-confirm the hazard detection part. As for me, it’s indeed good that I didn’t have to do this. Although I have been driving all this while, I was still nervous knowing that I was being tested. As I said, I didn’t even know where the TO had taken me even though I know the testing area (not the test route).

Best wishes to all of you who need to take the driving test
    Last edited by snowy_apple; 15th January 2014 at 11:40 PM.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience and its really helpful

Really Helpful , Having mine tomorrow, will see how it will goes.

Thanks a lot for sharing this.

Dear snowy_apple

did you get the international driving license as well from Malaysia, or that was a standard / regular driving license which you able to get converted in NZ driving license.

thanks in advance

Hi nz_crick,

No, I didn't have the international driving license, just the standard Malaysian driving license and the English translation copy in A4 paper.

As long as the English translation copy has your name, birthdate, license number, validity period, vehicle class you are allowed to drive as stated in your original driving license, and it's translated by authorised translators either in your home country or in NZ, that will be fine.

Just a note on the practical test...OH had just had his test this morning, and he was told to mention hazard. He said the testing officer asked him what hazard he saw in a particular area, and he just mentioned the hazard and action to take in that area at that time.

Eg. While driving through a road work area, he slowed down to 30kph (although no sign say so), and he mentioned "road work, slow down to 30kph". He passed the test

Apart from the hazard detection part, the rest of his test was the same as mine. So, different testing officers work a bit differently, it pays to just check with them to clarify before the test.

Congrats for your full license. I have yet to do mine. So far just go back every year and get another 12 months!

Thanks for the details and help.

and off-course congrats on your OH passing of driving test

kind regards

Initially we thought of going back every year and then get another 12 months. But it's just too expensive to do so. It's much more economical to just have the test done and forget about it for the next 10 years. Peace of mind, really.

Also, proud to carry the NZ driver licence

Hi Snowy
    Where in Malaysia did you get the translation done? Wondering if it's easier to get it translated here OR just have it renewed back in KL as the new license has English translation on it.
    Am also on the fence on this issue because like Gary, OH and I will likely go back to Malaysia every year, so not sure if it's absolutely necessary. Though not denying the convenience of having a NZ license. Either way, thanks for sharing!

Ali

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast