Thread: possible problem with NZ visitors visa????? getting in a bit of a panic!!

Default possible problem with NZ visitors visa????? getting in a bit of a panic!!

hello!!!

i am a uk passport holder, i am going to NZ on the 21st of this month for a holiday for my girlfriends sisters wedding, i intend to arrive in Auckland an get a 6 month visitors visa. i have a return ticket and i will also have proof of ample funds. and have a clean criminal record

but last year i stupidly overstayed my Australian working holiday visa, and got a 3 year exclusion period. I was taking my flight home to England wen the person behind the desk in customs noticed my visa had expired, and informed me of the 3 year exclusion. I was not removed or deported, i was leaving of my own accord as i had realized i was in the wrong. Anyway I was wondering if my exclusion period for Australia will impact on me getting a NZ visitors visa, even if i have a return ticket and proof of funds???? how likely are they to refuse me entry????

is it a cut and dry thing??? or will it be down to the person behind the desk at the time???? any response to this would be greatly appreciated

I found this from a paper that went to an Australian government committee in 2013 on border control:

"Australia and New Zealand work very closely together. The two countries have the best data sharing arrangements anywhere in the world. We have worked cooperatively with New Zealand on the establishment of their Advance Passenger Processing system – a system that provides advance information on all passengers travelling to New Zealand. New Zealand has also been a key player in RMAL, a significant APEC initiative.This close cooperation has resulted in a number of initiatives to facilitate travel and improve border integrity that has resulted in benefits to both countries." Now that paper was mainly about trans-tasman travel, but they obviously share data.

Whilst as a UK citizen you do not have to apply for a visitor visa in advance, if your overstay shows up when your passport is scanned you will probably be denied entry. You need a return ticket, funds AND to be of good character - the latter is not just about having a clean criminal record. To get the three year exclusion you must have overstayed by over 28 days - so not just a minor tweak to your plan.

I think a call to INZ on behalf of your "friend" who is in transit would be worthwhile

If this comes to light, it's cut and dried by the look of it. http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/Goodcharacter.htm

thanks for your response guys!!!

so do you think it would be worth a the risk??? is it likely that it will show up and be game over??? if you were in my shoes would you take a punt?? Or do you think i just need to cancel the whole thing and think again?? Its just i havnt got time to apply before hand and i dont think il get a refund on the tickets, so im kinda half thinking of just going and hope for the best, but i carnt help thinking that it will be a disaster

If you decide to go, whatever you do, reply truthfully to any questions that come up relating to this issue, e.g. from the immigration official(s) you see at the airport. I don't THINK the matter will arise on the passenger arrival card, unless they've changed it since this one http://www.customs.govt.nz/news/reso...%20version.pdf, but if it does, still, be honest. The form is a legal document, and when you sign it, you're affirming that you're telling the whole truth. If it ever comes out that you lied on a legal immigration document, or to a government official, this counts as fraud, and it can mess up your chances of getting visas in the future, for ever, for all countries, not just NZ.

If the Australian exclusion shows up, leading to your being interviewed aside by NZ Immigration, you are probably in for quite a long stint (during which your girlfriend would presumably be hanging about in the airport, waiting to know what would happen), covering what exactly you did to get the 3-year exclusion, why you did it, and whether you were doing something illegal (e.g. working?) while overstaying. They won't be very nice about it. They'd be guarding against NZ getting a potential illegal overstayer. A fairly likely scenario, if you get privately interviewed, is your being put back on the next plane home, and detained until that flight.