Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silver Fern VISA

Default Silver Fern VISA

Hi Guys,

I have a Bachelors in commerce and PGDIT (Information Technology) from university of Mumbai.

I plan to apply a silver fern visa, I have 1 year work exp working as technical support.

1) Would I need additional work experience and does the work experience need to be post qualification?

2) How would I get my qualifications assessed?

3) Do I have to submit PGDIT and BCOM transcripts and certificates or only PGDIT would do?

Also would NZQA consider a PGDIT after BCOM (considering they are 2 different lines).

Hi. You only need a Level 7 degree, so I would use this as the qualification to be assessed not the Post Grad Dip. With a degree, there is no work experience requirement. You need at least a PAR by the time you apply, but, as has been said on the Forum before, they are not vey useful. However, in this situation, it really depends on whether or not you will apply for other visas if you are not successful at getting a Silver Fern visa. I am sure you are aware that there are only 300 of these each year and they go in minutes. If you will be applying to NZ for other visa types, it would be worth getting an IQA , but at a cost of $746, it would be a huge gamble if you were only going for Silver Fern, as the odds are quite low of being one of the first 300. If it's Silver Fern or nothing for you, I would pay for the PAR ($138) and then hope for the best and get an IQA if you are one of the lucky few. Here's a link to how you go about a PAR or IQA. http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/qualificatio...ualifications/. This year, there will be a new system for Silver Fern visas and it has not yet been announced. It is likely that the new system will not be in place for the usual date in late April. Keep an eye on the news section of the INZ website. I will post something when I find out the timing and new procedure. Good luck. Karen

Default Naveen Kumar YR

Hi Karen,

The information provided for the silver fern visa is really helpful. Need some more details on the smae.

1. I am planning to apply for the workvisa (PR) or silver fern visa , i am having a work expereicne of nearly 10+ yers in the IT infrastructure domain with tremoundous knowledge on the identity and access management.
    2. my question what type of visa you think would be best suited.. since in silver fern visa I see it is just a gamble and also luck should play a important role in picking our name? post that will we get the desired job?
    3. I am ok to wiat for the PR visa but I am worried about the time how long it will take to get this done.

appreciate your advice and suggestion on this.

Thanks
    Naveen Kumar

Notice, you are saying 'PR', which is an old name for the first visa granted if successful under the Skilled Migrant Category - it's now called 'Residence'. PR is now a totally different visa, available after a minimum of two years living in NZ as a resident. If you've been looking up details on PR, you may have a wrong impression of time-frames.

Thanks JandM
    I agree that the PR was the old name used earlier now it is called "Residence" visa. My mistake.
    Do you think that Silverfern visa or Residence Visa will be the best suited for a person like me who is having 10+ yrs of exper in IT. And also considering my age is around 32 now. and also I have a 5 yrs old son .
    Please advice.

You would not be able to get a visa for your son if you travelled to NZ on a Silver Fern visa. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...searchfaqs.htm If you apply for Residence, you can put him on your EOI from the beginning as a secondary applicant.

thanks I got that...

I have read lot of thoughts on the silver fern visa holder... finding it very difficult to get a job... ( I am aware that depending on which domain or thier field are into)...but being an IT perspon.. i am ready to do a service desk job as well... 1st level support staff... if I get a silver fern visa... it not i may need to apply for the residence visa and then plan it up....
    do you have any idea how many month it might take if the proceedings for the residence visa is applied?

thanks again you the master...

There is no way to tell how long processing will take. All INZ branch offices have 'processing times' pages you can find with a search, but these are estimates based on recent averages, never a promise. Every case is different, every piece of evidence has to be checked out, so there is possible delay while waiting for replies from third parties, and INZ offices cannot predict how many applications will be passing through at the same time as yours. We always say, it takes as long as it takes. Everyone always feels that it takes a l-o-n-g time for their own case.

Understood .....Thanks

thanks Karen.

I think my PAR for my bachelors may come to a level 6 assuming it was completed without any honours.

I have 2 questions

1) Would NZQA consider a PGDIT after BCOM (because they are 2 different streams, however the eligibility criteria for this course was any graduate)

2) Also are there any restrictions if this course has been completed via distance learning

My friend plans to pursue his MBA in NZ (Level 9) for which he would get one year graduate job search visa (open).

After which he plans to apply for the graduate work visa (2 years)
    For this the job he finds would have to be related to his course study which is business.
    Does he need to have a manager level position as well?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast