Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visa for JSV partner

Default Visa for JSV partner

Hi,

I'm planning to apply a visit visa using my own funds to accompany my husband. I'm wondering if it's possible for me to choose the option in form 1017 that I will visit NZ for more than 6 mos but less than 12 mos. I would like to ask if there's anyone who were granted a 9 month multiple entry tourist visa in NZ whose a JSV spouse, and what are the requirements you provided aside from proof of funds.

Thanks a lot!

Please let me know your experience if anyone was granted or denied for a 6 mos multiple entry visa for the reason of accompanying spouse on jsv. Thanks!

Family stream visas are specifically forbidden to be granted for the partners and families of people on the SMC JSV.

The whole point of the SMC JSV is for the main applicant to go alone and concentrate all their time and resources on getting a skilled job. As soon as they do that and get their deferred Residence, then their partner and any children who were on the original SMC application get their Residence, too, and can join them.

This may seem harsh, but it was a rule change in response to what had become an even harsher problem. Under the old regulations, when a family was allowed to go with a JSV holder, they would find a home, maybe the partner, on an open visa, would find a job, and the children would settle into school. But if, in nine months, the JSV holder had NOT got a skilled job, they would all be told to leave the country. Of course, it was a heartbreaking thing for this group of people, having to tear up the life they had begun to make for themselves, and even worse if, despite all warnings, they had sold up their home in their original country and now had nothing to go back to. That is why the law is now as it is.

The only way for you to get to NZ while you he is there would be to apply for a Visitor's Visa in your own right, but it is very unlikely that it would be granted, for the same reasons as above.

Hi @jandm, thanks for your response. I'm planning to apply on a visitor visa using my own funds. I'm hoping that they would grant me a 6 mos visit visa. Though my purpose is accompny my husband, and thinking if it's still possible even if I have my own funds. Maybe Im just hoping that someone had that experience. Thanks alot!

I know what you want to do. You're not the first to think the same way. But INZ tend to make the connections and realize that, if one spouse is on the SMC JSV, the other is not just a normal tourist. Of course you can try, but be prepared.

Thanks Jandm!

Just an update, I applied for a visitor visa for 1 month and it was approved, I applied for another 1 month extension while in NZ, and it's approved again. I used my own funds and no sponsorship. Thanks, hope this helps!

It sounds as if you were VERY (and unusually!) lucky. How's your husband's job-search going?

thanks Jandm, he's doing good and have pending applications, praying for good results ��.. thanks a lot!

Hi liz5,
    My wife applied for 2months visitor's visa and extended it for 9months when we got here in NZ,
    Just inform the immgraton officer thru your application the true reason of your stay (which is to provide moral and marital support to your husband who is on a job search visa)...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast