Thread: job offer & need some help/advice

Default job offer & need some help/advice

We have been looking into moving from uk to new zealand with our 2 children.
    My partner has been offered a job with a company but they are only offering him a 1 year working visa. We have been told they may offer an extension for another year or permanent. We can look at other companies to sponsor us once out there again for permanent resident visa

Has anyone been in the same position. Half of me is thinking forget it, to up stick the family for a year is going to be a nighmare & very unfair on my children. Daughter has started her gcse now.
    The other half is saying go for it, will be an adventure & children will get alot out of it.

I alway thought that if we were going to leave the uk, it would be for good. So the thought of maybe having to come back isnt selling this dream to me.

Any thoughts, comments would be helpfu

thanksl

I guess it's all down to how much you want this change. There is a good chance that if you get out there on a work visa, partnership visa and student visas , things will work out, you will get your residence and you will all be really happy. many employers are reluctant to commit to anything longer than a year until they've actually met the new employee. Once you have a longer job offer, you can apply immediately for residence assuming that the job is for a Skill level 3 or higher. If you're unsure, just ask. Lots of people have been caught out going into skilled trades jobs in Christchurch only to discover that the skill isn't recognised as such and they can work temporarily but never get residence without, say, a manager position in their trade.

On the other hand, if you really honestly feel negative about the whole process, maybe it's not for you. With an entirely different hat on, I am a trained and certified coach and I have developed a questionnaire designed to help people decide if the move is for them. I offer the link here - but it is only as a free service, no strings or costs involved. http://www.workstudylivenewzealand.c...the-plunge.pdf (moderator - if this is breaking the rules, and it's not my intention, please fee free to remove it and people can ask for the link through Private Messages).

Thanks for your thoughts.
    May sound silly but where would I found skill leave 3 or higher. Looking on immigration. Gov & only showing long term, immediate skills

hello,
    well done on the job offer but I can appreciate your caution.
    yes, your children will get a great deal out of moving to NZ and it would be a great adventure, but if your daughter is in year 10/11 you need to be VERY CAREFUL. If she is wanting to go to university in England she will need to be a UK resident for 3 years beforehand to qualify for domestic student status. And obviously it would affect her qualifications.

Good luck with the decision!