Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tsunami Zone

Quote Originally Posted by A.C. Slater View Post
    if one of these Cook Strait quakes ever went rogue, you're only talking about maybe 15-20 kilometers of buffer zone, which is 2-3 minutes tops. The articles I've read say that you're actually better off not even getting in the car, as it costs you too much time.

A kiwi friend of mine also said something I had never heard before, which is that the seawall will stop most small tsunamis from reaching land. Never thought about that, but they do shave off a good meter or two, don't they?

In actuality, it's about 60km from the active earthquake area in the Cook Strait to Wellington. The earthquake that hit Japan in 2011 causing the subsequent tsunami was 70km and took 15-20 minutes to reach the shore. The seawalls were relatively ineffective against those large series of waves. However, seawalls are effective in smaller tsunamis.

From what I've read about tsunamis in NZ, the worst one was caused by an earthquake in the Cook Strait causing damage to Lyall Bay and Miramar Peninsula. The tsunami arrived 20 minutes after the earthquake.

If it was just me, I wouldn't blink at living in a tsunami zone... If there are dependants (partner(s), children, pets, etc.. ) I wouldn't touch it!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12