Thread: SMC: ANZSCO and Job Requirements

Default SMC: ANZSCO and Job Requirements

Good Evening

Like many of us here, I am currently in the process of applying for residency under the 'SMC' scheme whilst working with an 'Essential Skills' visa.
    Many questions come to mind, in the event the whole process turns out to be successful (fingers crossed):

- After residence is granted, is there a requirement to continue working with the same employer for a specific amount of time (3 months were required at the initial start of the application I believe?) or can you work for anybody else, including in a different sector that the one selected by INZ (using the ANZSCO) for the residency application?
    - Put differently would it be acceptable for example to resign the day after you receive your resident visa and either decide not to work anymore or have some sort of career break and move onto a more skilled sector (Level 1)?

The reason for asking is that I am hoping to take on another job (waiting first to get the precious resident visa) which would be in a different field that the one my SMC application is based on. Do similar restrictions printed on a work visa exist on a resident visa please?

Thanks a lot for your feedback, I can't really find the info in the INZ OPS manual.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by Bizjets; 26th January 2014 at 08:13 PM.

As you've put in your application under SMC while already having a skilled job in NZ, your residence MAY come through with a Section 49(1) condition on it - this will partly depend on how long you have been in that job. The condition is usually that you stay in the job for a minimum of three months. Sometimes, if the applicant has already been in the job three months, they don't put that condition, but other people have had it on anyway. Still, IF they put that condition, as soon as you can show INZ you have been in that job for the time stated and are still in it, then they give you a new Residence visa without the conditions

Once you have the Residence visa without any conditions, then you are free and clear to do what you want, within the law. You could change jobs without restriction (so you can take anything, in a different field, skilled or unskilled), you could start a business, you could take a break, or you could become a student on domestic fees (though you would not be eligible for any NZ government student loan till after living in NZ as a resident for two years).

So the longest you would be likely to be tied, if at all, after your Residence comes through is three months.

Hi JandM, thanks for taking the time to come up with a very satisfying answer this is much appreciated!