Thread: Pharmacy Technician

Default Pharmacy Technician

I am an experienced American Pharmacy Technician looking to emigrate to New Zealand. I went to the Saint Louis College of Pharmacy for 4 years, have been certified by the PTCB, and have 2+ years of experience in full-time retail and 2+ years part-time experience in the hospital/clinical environment. I would love to work as a Pharmacy Technician in NZ while continuing my education there to become a full-fledged Pharmacist.

Until recently, I worked as a pharmacy technician who was known for building customer value by providing them excellent interpersonal skills in a fast-paced medical environment. I am very well-versed in researching drug databases like Clinical Pharmacology, and am familiar with medical terminology, drug interactions, and pharmacology. I am looking for a career change, and I believe the skills I learned in this field, in combination with those from the University of Missouri Saint Louis and the Saint Louis College of Pharmacy, make me a competitive candidate for this position.
    You will find me capable of handling numerous detailed tasks while maintaining a calm and professional demeanor. I am very good at customer service and have built numerous relationships with clients in my time at the Saint Louis College of Pharmacy Copy Center and CVS/Pharmacy. This is because my customers appreciate my ability to provide detailed information in an understandable fashion in a short period of time.
    I am seeking an opportunity to build my career in new ways and take on new challenges.
    Last edited by Dave in NZ; 29th January 2014 at 10:14 AM. Reason: removed all personal details to comply with rule 10

Hi
    We have removed all personal details to comply with Rule 10

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40236

If you wish to make 5 posts then you will be able to use the private messaging system on the forum so if anyone is interested in your resume they can get in touch with you this way and then you can send them the details

jonmkidd: I think I'm the only pharmacist regularly on this forum, and you've confused even me.

For starters: where are you in the immigration process? Are you sending out resumes so that you can get a work visa and then move here? Have you looked into what you need to do to work as a technician in NZ? There is not a formal registration process per se, but there is an educational requirement. Have you had any didactic training in the US that NZQA would consider equivalent? It seems silly, but pharmacy school is not a substitute; that is to say, if I were not registered here as a pharmacist, I could not work as a technician. Speaking of which: you mention 4 years of pharmacy school; do you mean 4 of 6 years? That's actually only 2 years of pharmacy school (for you non-pharmacists: pharmacy school in the US is 4 years, but all pharmacy schools require at least 2 years of pre-pharmacy courses [and many people end up getting 4 year degrees before pharmacy school]--your prepharmacy years in NZ are called highschool. At any rate, unless you were kicked out, I highly recommend doing the last two years in the US. There is no comparison education wise, and if you ever want to go back to the US, a NZ degree is pretty worthless.

So anyway, I would recommend looking at some of the places that won't require you to be be certified as a NZ technician. Baxter and Biomed, among other places are considered manufacturers. They tend to employ a lot of foreign pharmacists and techs who have the right skills but no paper. See if you meet the criteria for this: http://baxter.avature.net/careers/Jo...e-Graduate/172

PS: I do see hospital pharmacy technician is on the immediate skill shortage list, and compared to the pay in the US, it is not a bad living.

72andsunny, hubby is a pharmacist! Where are you working?

Quote Originally Posted by Belstar View Post
    72andsunny, hubby is a pharmacist! Where are you working?
    In the HB!

British people do well in health care in NZ. There's something about the accent that Kiwis find authoritative.

Quote Originally Posted by 72andsunny View Post
    In the HB!

British people do well in health care in NZ. There's something about the accent that Kiwis find authoritative.
    His authoritative voice does not work with me

ADHB?