Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is IELTS mandatory for partner if main applicant claim bonus points although partner graduated in english right from childhood

Default Is IELTS mandatory for partner if main applicant claim bonus points although partner graduated in english right from childhood

Hi Forum,
    My concern is Does partner need to attempt IELTS exam and score over 6.5, although they complete their primary, secondary and bachelors degree in English?
    I have read in immigration rules that IELTS exam is not necessary.
    I am claiming bonus points for my partner qualification.
    Also applied for IQA recently. Any help regarding this is appriciated

Thanks Very Much

I have read in immigration rules that IELTS exam is not necessary.
    Then no doubt you will also have seen the evidence that you will need to submit for your partner. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30617.htm

It says here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/41495.htm
    an immigration officer may, on a case by case basis, consider the following as evidence of the principal applicant meeting the minimum standard of English if:
    they provide evidence that their recognised qualification(s):
    was gained as a result of a course or courses of study in which English was the only medium of instruction
    Therefore, what you need is a letter from her university specifically stating that she (by name) attended there and studied (her course) between (whichever) dates, and that that course was taught entirely in English. From other people's experience, it seems that it is not enough to send a degree certificate which has a mention on it of the course being in English - INZ need to have a separate specific statement.

Incidentally, I understand that INZ are being very careful about proofs of English from universities in India at the moment. Recently, it came to light that *some* Indian institutions had been issuing letters saying their courses had been in English, when in fact hardly any of the instruction had been in English at all.

This has unfortunately had an impact on others who genuinely studied in English, because, as that same link shows at paragraph d, any doubt is to be resolved by requiring the applicant to provide an IELTS score. Several members of the forum have therefore had to sit IELTS when they had not expected to. If anyone has this requirement imposed on them, and their ITA deadline is close, they have the right to ask the CO for more time, to allow them to sit the tests and get their results.

Thanks verymuch for your indetail explanation. I still have some additional time to submit my ITA. So, will think on getting my partner to sit for IELTS exam

Of course, she still MIGHT not need to...

Hi Everyone,
    Can any one please give me format of letter that will be accepted by immigration which states applicant has completed their complete education in English.
    Any Suggestions...
    Thanks

There isn't any template. As I said before, what you need is a letter from her university specifically stating that she (by name) attended there and studied (her course) between (whichever) dates, and that that course was taught entirely in English. That's all it needs to say, properly headed and signed.

Even when this is correctly supplied by the relevant university, nothing can guarantee that INZ will accept it. As you will have seen, the regulations state that a CO has the right to ask for an IELTS score if in any doubt. And as I mentioned above, they are being very careful about Indian institutions at the moment.

Thanks J and M for the quick response. I have one more question here....
    My wife completed her graduated degree from one of well known university in India. But the college where she attended was affiliated to that well known university.
    In this case, when we get the evidence for course completion letter, is this ok, when we get this on college letter head? As on the college letter head, it clearly states that this particular college is affiliated to so and so university...

Thanks

Of course it is fine - that is what is true, so nobody can demand anything else! And it should be obvious to the officials, but to be as sure as you can that INZ see the association to the well-known university, you could point it out in a cover letter.

Thanks for the update JandM

I took my ielts and score average 6.5, but I did badly for listening which is only 5.5. May I know the minimum requirement for ielts 6.5 is for every single band or only overall? I am a bit worry about it. Tq

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast