Thread: Recognition of 'free-lance' software development work

Exclamation Recognition of 'free-lance' software development work

I'm posting these questions on behalf of a friend who intends to launch the EOI soon for NZ residence. He has asked me for advice as I have been through the whole process and have obtained the residence.
    However, some aspects of his case are tricky and I need expert opinion.
    His profession is 'Developer Programmer' under ICT category on LTSSL.

1. For a few years, he has been 'self-employed' as a free-lance worker. He effectively works from home and gets 'software development' work from internet (sites like vWorker, elance, freelance etc) and has been making decent income. All amounts are deposited in his 'personal' bank accounts as an individual. There is no tax payment for this income. He can provide evidence for all work he has done through those web sites, reference letters from his customers and the bank statements. Does INZ recognize such free-lance work? Especially when there is no tax payment for such income?

2. He has 'Bachelor degree in Computer Science' that is expected to get level 7 on IQA therefore he can claim bonus points for his work experience in area of 'Absolute Skills Shortage' based upon this qualification. However, he also holds a 'Master degree in Computer Science'. If recognized by NZQA at level 9, it can give him 60 points. Is it possible that he claims 60 points for level 9 degree and also claim bonus points for work experience based upon his bachelor degree?

3. In order to receive 10 points for partner's qualification, does that 'degree' need to be on LTSSL or it is sufficient that NZQA recognizes it at level 4 to 6 (and not being on LTSSL).

Thanks

Danny

I think I remember people having used freelance clients as proof of work experience. Does anybody remember who posted about this?

Here are some regulations having a bearing on recognition of work experience. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30570.htm
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30571.htm

I have also done freelance work. For my application I got all of my previous clients to write letters, with details of the start and end dates of the engagements, the nature of the work I completed, and how many hours were involved.

hello...

I'm resident now in NZ, i got my visa from EOI then SMC. most of my experiences are freelance or work from home via oDesk and eLance.

What i did was ask my employers/clients a work certificate during those projects i did for them specifically duration of the project, role, job description etc. then in EOI, i added to my work experiences and to SMC forms.

INZ pretty much honor freelance coz i guess its still work experience. hehe..

hope this helps.