Thread: cost difference between 20' and 40' containers

Default cost difference between 20' and 40' containers

Can anyone give me a very rough estimate of the difference in price between shipping a 20' and a 40' container to/from Europe? Our move to NZ is paid for by the company but we will have to pay to ship things back. I am trying to figure out how many of the "not absolutely necessary" things we should be packing and what we should leave here in storage.

Difficult to say as a lot depends on whereabouts you live and how close you are to a port. A large part of the costs seems to be the land transport. (when we moved to NZ from Scotland, our container to NZ didn't cost that much more than for our friends who were moving to Austria). The best thing to do really is to contact a removal company for a quote. They should be able to give you an approximate quote.

I have a vague recollection that the price was not significantly different, talking gbp1000 or so from Scotland, but it was a few years ago. Might be worth a phone call just for an indication.

we had 20ft container last May with Anglo Pacific...£3,500, we came back to uk and are going back to NZ soon and looking to reduce this if poss!

From memory, 40' was about 30% more than 20'

We had a quote for both last April. From Uk to Christchurch 20ft was roughly £3300 and 40ft was £4500.
    Had a few quotes from different companies but all seemed to be fairly similar.

A 20ft through Crown Relo was quoted at $10,000 and a 40ft $18,000

That includes dismantling, packing, insurance, shipping, customs clearance, delivery and unpacking putting everything back together again.

I think variations in the price also depends on who is footing the bill.