Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things to do/not to do in the interview

Post Things to do/not to do in the interview

Hi All,

Though I waited for this moment and I am getting bit nervous now.
    My interview is scheduled in coming week.

Please advice/suggest as:
    1. How to prepare myself and spouse for the interview.
    2. What things CO will expect from me.
    3. What things shall I prepare to impress him/her.
    4. What things shall I avoid in the interview.
    5. Are same set of questions generally asked to the partner of the main applicant or different. If different, please share idea.

Your help will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
    Ankur

During my Visitor Visa Application experience, just know all the details of your application form and you will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by camilord View Post
    During my Visitor Visa Application experience, just know all the details of your application form and you will be fine.
    Thanks Camilord.

I forgot to mention that I have applied for Resident Visa under SMC.

Regards,
    Ankur

Quote Originally Posted by Ankur View Post
    Thanks Camilord.

I forgot to mention that I have applied for Resident Visa under SMC.

Regards,
    Ankur
    I did the same... But my Resident Visa under SMC, INZ did not conduct interview. or maybe they forgot to do so?

Here http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27398 is an old thread (with links to others as well) telling you what to expect. The CO will be judging your preparedness for what you will find in NZ, most of all, your *employability*, following these instructions. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/43652.htm. (That's why it doesn't matter that these comments are quite old - the system is still the same.)

The CO, IF they want to talk to the partner (and they don't necessarily do that), is not usually concerned with the partner's career, so much as if she knows what to expect in NZ for such everyday matters such as housing, shopping, finding a doctor, the school system for any children, etc.. That way, the main applicant will be able to concentrate on finding work, not having to help settle the partner all the time.

Thanks JandM.

Here are some specific answers if you still need:

1. How to prepare myself and spouse for the interview.
    Most of the questions are around research, planning, settlement i.e. adjusting to new climate, people, looking for job, house, kids (and their schooling etc if applicable). Networking, job hunting, getting along with the culture etc. The answer to this question can go on & on, basically keep the answer as much descriptive as possible and realistic. There are often no right or wrong answers but these depend on individual circumstances too. You can take the liberty to be little bit nervous but usually CO's are quite relaxed and they must have seen several others in similar interviews, I'm sure they know their jobs really well! Just be honest so there are no challenging bouncers later on.

2. What things CO will expect from me.
    Just keep the answers fluent, without any contradictions in answers. Some questions could be tricky so make sure you know what exactly you have answered to other questions and weave all the answers together.

3. What things shall I prepare to impress him/her.
    Do you homework and research, the thread JandM posted is really helpful. There are various other posts in this forum which will be helpful. Do have your source of information handy and in case CO asks then let them know how detailed research you have done. Don't just say one or two sources, mention a few like google, magazines, enz forum, friends & family, ex-colleagues etc.

4. What things shall I avoid in the interview.
    Try to avoid giving contradictory answers, don't try to cover up if you know there has been some goof up - it will give you benefit of doubt and shows honesty. I'm sure you would be careful but don't give an answer which directly or indirectly proves that you will be burden on NZ systems; like any interviews & general mannerisms do not cut their question even if you know the answer beforehand.

5. Are same set of questions generally asked to the partner of the main applicant or different. If different, please share idea.
    Some questions are totally different and few might be same, these go with the flow of conversation e.g. How would you settle (if you answer from point of view at work, colleagues, friends), your partner might give slightly different answer e.g. how he/she would introduce to others, network at school [if there are kids], do any voluntary work, try to know culture around, participate in community work etc. If you work and your partner doesn't then the questions to each of you could be different on settlement. I think the idea is for them to see how much you are prepared for this move (and as your dependent how your partner compliments about the move). Again I go back to the previous point, if you are working and emotionally & mentally dependent on your partner after arriving at home, for some reason if your partner doesn't feel 100% sure about the move then it defeats both of your purpose in moving to a new country. Think of these lines as a hint.

All the best!

Each one of us gets that feeling when we near the interview, as that is a very important factor INZ considers for the outcome. Just remain calm & be as realistic as possible.
    So all the best to you!

1. Go through the questions posted in the forum & prepare answers for those yourself with some more research
    2. I believe you would have received an email from CO prior to this stating the interview details, read that carefully. They would have emphasized on certain things( you got to read a bit between the lines here)
    Primarily the CO will want to know how well prepared are you for the move, how well do you know NZ( essentially atleast the basic things for daily life/survival ), where do you stand in the job market of NZ, your expected Pay from an NZ job, any backup finances that you have which will help you tide over worst case scenario's, your place of choice in NZ.
    3. Prepare item 2, but caution do not try to impress the CO, its more of how realistic and straightforward you are to certain scenario's & the outlook with the move.
    4. Do not exaggerate too much & do not paint a very rosy picture. INZ also verifies your claims against the NZ backdrop realistically.
    5. It depends , but usually partner might be asked his/her willingness to work in NZ & the efforts for that. Any other general questions, like weather or places in NZ, might also be asked about
    social benefits in NZ.

Hope this helps!

Thankyou very much Sun777 & rv1103.
    Your suggestions and advices are really helpful and giving me some kind of confidence.

Thanks again.

Regards,
    Ankur

Interview? I didn't have an interview when I was applying for PR. Is this a recent thing? I got PR in 2009.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast