Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Tolaga Bay.....Any advice

Default Moving to Tolaga Bay.....Any advice

Hi,
    My family and I are moving to the Tolaga Bay area. Can you give me any thoughts on the area? Is it a stretch to get to Gisborne from Uawa? Have you had any good/bad experiences in Uawa? I have read that the population is mostly Maori, my daughter would be attending the school in Tolaga Bay? As a "Yank" I know she will be met with some backlash but should it be worry though?

I only spent a few days in Tolaga Bay. It is very remote, as I am sure you are aware. I was there about 6 years ago and it felt like it might be somewhere that was upwardly mobile, so things may have improved. I can't say I was over-impressed personally and I might not be 100% happy about my kids going to school there - but it may have changed. This isn't about it being Maori, rather that it is a fairly remote, rural community and socio-economically not the highest. On the other hand, I really liked Gisborne and it is less than an hour away . I had been led to believe it was a real backwater, and was pleasantly surprised by the café culture and signs of real growth. Don't base any decisions on my pinion, as I am sure there are Forum members with a lot more recent experience. The East Cape is a stunningly beautiful tourist destination and its remoteness is a real bonus when you want to get away from it all!

You can read the latest Education Review Office report online for the school. The school is as you say mostly Maori with only 4% NZ European/Pakeha so you do need to be aware of that. How old is your daughter? And will you be working in Tolaga Bay? I wouldn't have imagined there were many employment opportunities. It's a decile 2 school so socio-economically challenged.
    I think saying that as a 'yank' she will be met with some backlash is a massive over generalisation. Potential problems for your daughter will be more fundamental than that. I can only assume that the school will meet the needs of the Maori population with regards to culture and language and your daughter will have to adapt to that. This is not New Zealand for beginners. There's a lot of video footage online from the 2012 Transit of Venus when Tolaga Bay, as I am sure you know, had its moment of fame.
    Good luck with your move and hope all goes well.

I was born & bred in Gisborne ( 40 years) and spent many happy hours at the beach in Tolaga Bay and surrounding areas.
    Like most of the areas 'round the coast', Tolaga has 'slipped' due to the lack of employment opportunities, but if your interest lies in the outdoors, Tolaga, Anaura & Kaiaua beaches are hard to beat.
    Gisborne is not the backwater it is purported to be, Waikanae Beach right on the city doorstep, is one of the safest beaches in the country not the least to say the central city shopping areas for good shopping and a great library.
    Enjoy the East Coast.

Quote Originally Posted by girlwithanewf View Post
    You can read the latest Education Review Office report online for the school. The school is as you say mostly Maori with only 4% NZ European/Pakeha so you do need to be aware of that. How old is your daughter? And will you be working in Tolaga Bay? I wouldn't have imagined there were many employment opportunities. It's a decile 2 school so socio-economically challenged.
    I think saying that as a 'yank' she will be met with some backlash is a massive over generalisation. Potential problems for your daughter will be more fundamental than that. I can only assume that the school will meet the needs of the Maori population with regards to culture and language and your daughter will have to adapt to that. This is not New Zealand for beginners. There's a lot of video footage online from the 2012 Transit of Venus when Tolaga Bay, as I am sure you know, had its moment of fame.
    Good luck with your move and hope all goes well.

My daughter will be turning 8 by the time we arrive in New Zealand. When it comes to school I feel confident that I can pick any left over slack from the school (I have two Master degrees.) It's interesting I read the ERO review of the Tolaga Bay school, and if you were to look at reviews of a similar school in the states they are a 1000 times ahead of the American educational program. My daughter is quite excited to learn the local customs and even wants to learn Moari, I grew up learning 5 foreign languages.. At the age of 7 she already knows that no matter where she goes to school she will be a minority (we are Jewish.)
    My family and I are looking at investing in a small citrus farm in the area. Thankfully I have had my fair share rural living in foreign countries. My husband retired from the U.S. Army and I was enlisted for 10years before eventually leaving. I googled the driving distance from Tolaga Bay to Gisborne and it gave me a estimated trip time of 30 minutes. Which for me is fine, heck in the states 60 minutes is a short drive. Gisborne looks lovely to be honest, I did the Google Earth drive around the area. Everything I have read in regards to the eastern coast is that it's very touristy. I would love to someday setup a bed and breakfast on the property we are trying to purchase.

It's sad, by reading the above comments (WHICH I am very grateful for.) I have looked at a few other sites, and when foreigners have been discussing how the local Maori treat American's it hasn't been kind. My family and I all figured it was the stereotypical uptight arrogant American perspective.
    I was raised in a home that embraced cultural differences and wove them into our own traditions.

Quote Originally Posted by MadchenMarie View Post
    It's sad, by reading the above comments (WHICH I am very grateful for.) I have looked at a few other sites, and when foreigners have been discussing how the local Maori treat American's it hasn't been kind. My family and I all figured it was the stereotypical uptight arrogant American perspective.
    I was raised in a home that embraced cultural differences and wove them into our own traditions.
    I'm not sure I understand your post. Are you saying the above posts are telling you that Maori treat Americans poorly? I didn't read that--and none of the responders are American (to the best of my knowledge). I can say all Maori I have interacted with have been quite kind. We apparently have the only mezuzzah any Hawke's Bay Maori have seen, and everyone who has come to our house has been curious. I do not recollect any Pakeha asking about it.

Note: I am not an 8 year old girl, and the Maori population of Hawke's Bay is only like 25%.

Quote Originally Posted by 72andsunny View Post
    I'm not sure I understand your post. Are you saying the above posts are telling you that Maori treat Americans poorly? I didn't read that--and none of the responders are American (to the best of my knowledge). I can say all Maori I have interacted with have been quite kind. We apparently have the only mezuzzah any Hawke's Bay Maori have seen, and everyone who has come to our house has been curious. I do not recollect any Pakeha asking about it.

Note: I am not an 8 year old girl, and the Maori population of Hawke's Bay is only like 25%.
    Sorry for the confusion....I was referring to what other sites had stated. I am looking forward to learning and embracing the cultural of the Maori people.

You will find that no matter where you go, there will always be people who are anti, no matter the nationality.

Quote Originally Posted by Fern49 View Post
    You will find that no matter where you go, there will always be people who are anti, no matter the nationality.
    Oh yes I am fully aware, sadly America has it's full share of Anti-lunicy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast