Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Entering NZ with new passport

Default Entering NZ with new passport

Hi folks,

We have a bit of a dilemma and would welcome any advice. We are planning a return trip to the UK in April and while my 2 children and myself have up-to-date passports and indefinite returning residents visas, my wife needs to renew her passport and so we have decided to do this while in the UK as its a damn site cheaper. Now, the problem with this is with regards to her returning residents visa which hasn't been upgraded to indefinite as the passport has not expired until now.

Also, as she will be getting a new passport in the UK, this new passport will not have any visa's in it at all. Can anyone please advise us regarding her ability to enter NZ when returning home from our trip, can she enter as any other visitor can and get the indefinite returning residents visa when back home?

Any help greatly appreciated and I apologise if this post isn't clear, I admit its rather complicated!

Whoops, just realised, the children and I are actually permanent residents now, not indefinite returning residents.

Please ask any questions if I havnt made the situation clear. Cheers

Our daughter was overseas when we got our PR visa done and the Officer at INZ Auckland advised us that she could get her PR done at nearest INZ office (close to where she was living). Based on this logic, I assume your wife can get PR visa affixed in UK.

A matter of caution about the fees, (its just my personal understanding based on interaction with INZ). The cost of getting the PR visa will be same as to getting PR visa on your old passport PLUS transferring PR onto new passport.

I arrived at this conclusion because OH's passport was nearly full when we got her PR visa done and spoke to INZ officer if it would cost less if we want to get PR directly to new passport and then above process was explained to us.

Hope this helps

Are you actually in the UK long enough to get the passport renewed and the visa stamp transferred? Obvious question but you don't want to end up with no passport.

It's possible to get the whole thing - new passport AND transfer of visa - done in the UK, if you are there long enough. http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/k...base/item/1137

I think you'd need to ask INZ about what would happen if a PR holder tried to enter as a visitor on a new passport not bearing their visa. Apart from having to go through the other line from the rest of the family, she'd probably get flagged by the system, and delayed for questions and checks.

I think you just need to bring along your old passport bearing your valid visa, you can transfer it to your new passport after you arrived in NZ. That was what we did many years ago. The immigration may stop you or hold you while they check your visa on the old passport. We had no problem then. But that was many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by larrykiwi View Post
    I think you just need to bring along your old passport bearing your valid visa, you can transfer it to your new passport after you arrived in NZ. That was what we did many years ago. The immigration may stop you or hold you while they check your visa on the old passport. We had no problem then. But that was many years ago.
    That used to be the case but appears to have been changed...
    You cannot use your resident visa or permanent visa to enter New Zealand if it is in an expired passport.
    From returning residents/

Ian

I agree with Ian. I know somebody who found out the hard way that the law had changed.

We will be there long enough to get the passport, but will need the passport soon after to travel around Europe.

It seems rather strange that just about anyone can enter NZ with a valid passport as a tourist. However, if you have taken the trouble and expense to gain permanent residence, you could be turned away! Thanks for the advice, looks like we will need to change our plans.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast