Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back door into NZ via Australia PR

Default Back door into NZ via Australia PR

Hi all,

The SMC passmarks has been consistently high for the past few years eg; above 140 points to get in without first getting a job offer. This has obviously put a lot of potential would be migrants off, as not all of them would want to drop everything back home and come in to secure a job before getting their residence.

Well, one of those applicants happen to be my friend. Based on estimates he would easily get above a 100 points but would never come close to 140 points. Other routes are also 'closed' to him as he does not want to set up a business and/or have enough via the investment route.

Strangely enough he qualifies for Australia residence via their point system. I did a search and found out that it is possible that should one qualifies for an Australian PR, he or she automatically qualifies for NZ residence too?

If that is true then it is essentially another possible 'back door' route into NZ? My friend is determine to get into NZ as Australian residence is too restrictive and also many other 'reasons' that makes NZ a much better destination than Australia. (Hurrah to Kiwis!)

Can someone shed some light over this 'back door' entrance to NZ?

Thanks in advance for all your responses.

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=site:enz...alian+PR+in+NZ
    http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/...dresidents.htm

I have not looked into all the Australian regulations, but I believe from what I've seen other posters mention that one needs to watch out for how long Australian visas remain valid, under what conditions (e.g. if you've left their country), so as not to be left in NZ without the necessary.

Even if your friend secures less than 140 points he is still eligible for NZ residence. If he has some points for work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage then his EOI will most likely be selected. I managed with 125 points!

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by pakiboy86 View Post
    Even if your friend secures less than 140 points he is still eligible for NZ residence. If he has some points for work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage then his EOI will most likely be selected. I managed with 125 points!

Danny
    Unfortunately he does not. I wish he had....

Getting an Australian visa isn't quite as easy as it appears to be even if you qualify for the points. A lot depends on the special category of visa, subclass you are applying. It isn't the points but the category which determines how long you have to wait for a residency approval. Skills which are sought-after are put into special subclasses where their applications are usually fast-tracked, if your friend has a job offer on top of a sought-after skills in which Australia needs, then it can be as short as a few months wait for him.

However if he happens to be applying as a general skilled professional where there is no skills shortage, he may be in for a very long wait. How long? Who knows actually and it can be a frustrating experience. But it not unheard of for people to wait 2-3 years and longer for their visas. Your friend needs to check with the Australian DOI for more accurate details. But it is very unlikely they would be forthcoming with this information, so they may suggest he go ahead and apply anyway. We know of 2 people (teachers) who are trying to get in, one has given up after many obstacles during his 2 years of waiting and at a cost of a few thousand dollars, and another who has just started but seems unable to cross her IELTS exams (needs an 8 on an academic testing).

In the end, getting an Australian PR to get to NZ, is probably not the best way to do it. If you factor in the waiting time. Furthermore you only get 5-years on your resident visa in which some of that time, you need to be residing in Australia otherwise you may lose your Australian PR. And if you happen to be in NZ, you will need to get a NZ residency before your Australian PR expires, otherwise you would not be able to remain in NZ any long.

I would think that getting a job offer would be the best way as it will increase his points significantly and his application would be fast-tracked. He can come to NZ to jobsearch and hopefully find something.

Both these(NZ & AUS) are two seperat entities, hence the PR grant is not tied across within.
    Either of them can't be used as a bridge to immediately move to other country. Unless, you get a PR in say AUS progress to Citizenship & then you are pretty much open to both countries.
    AUS procedure is not very easy as it seems, with lot of changes.

Even if your friend has above 100 but not reaching 140 points for NZ, he should go ahead & apply for NZ if he really is interested in NZ. There have been people in this forum who have got ITA & subsequent approvals for points below 140. The ITA will also depend on what qualifications & experience your friend carries.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by batgirl1001 View Post
    Getting an Australian visa isn't quite as easy as it appears to be even if you qualify for the points. A lot depends on the special category of visa, subclass you are applying. It isn't the points but the category which determines how long you have to wait for a residency approval. Skills which are sought-after are put into special subclasses where their applications are usually fast-tracked, if your friend has a job offer on top of a sought-after skills in which Australia needs, then it can be as short as a few months wait for him.

However if he happens to be applying as a general skilled professional where there is no skills shortage, he may be in for a very long wait. How long? Who knows actually and it can be a frustrating experience. But it not unheard of for people to wait 2-3 years and longer for their visas. Your friend needs to check with the Australian DOI for more accurate details. But it is very unlikely they would be forthcoming with this information, so they may suggest he go ahead and apply anyway. We know of 2 people (teachers) who are trying to get in, one has given up after many obstacles during his 2 years of waiting and at a cost of a few thousand dollars, and another who has just started but seems unable to cross her IELTS exams (needs an 8 on an academic testing).

In the end, getting an Australian PR to get to NZ, is probably not the best way to do it. If you factor in the waiting time. Furthermore you only get 5-years on your resident visa in which some of that time, you need to be residing in Australia otherwise you may lose your Australian PR. And if you happen to be in NZ, you will need to get a NZ residency before your Australian PR expires, otherwise you would not be able to remain in NZ any long.

I would think that getting a job offer would be the best way as it will increase his points significantly and his application would be fast-tracked. He can come to NZ to jobsearch and hopefully find something.
    Thanks for your reply. will advise him accordingly. Yes it is not the 'ideal' way but since they are so desperate to get into NZ, I was only looking for all possible options for them.

Quote Originally Posted by rv1103 View Post
    Both these(NZ & AUS) are two seperat entities, hence the PR grant is not tied across within.
    Either of them can't be used as a bridge to immediately move to other country. Unless, you get a PR in say AUS progress to Citizenship & then you are pretty much open to both countries.
    AUS procedure is not very easy as it seems, with lot of changes.

Even if your friend has above 100 but not reaching 140 points for NZ, he should go ahead & apply for NZ if he really is interested in NZ. There have been people in this forum who have got ITA & subsequent approvals for points below 140. The ITA will also depend on what qualifications & experience your friend carries.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks so much for your reply. Apparently as I read it on the INZ site that those with Aus PR will get their residence upon entry into NZ. From there on they must stay on for 2 years (or apply for variation of travel condition) before they can get their indefinite entry or PR. The only part I am not certain is whether their Aus PR has to be current on the 2 year anniversary when they are submitting their application for PR or maybe it does not matter as long as they have not left NZ.

On another note, my friend does not want to live in Australia even for a week if possible after getting their PR stamp on the passport. They want to come almost immediately to NZ after they have completed all the formalities in
    Australia. So I guess the issue of staying 2 years in Australia to ensure their Aus PR remains valid is not applicable to them??

I'm afraid you are doing a lot of wishful thinking here.

1) The kind of people who come into NZ from Australia without needing an extra visa are as follows. "...an Australian citizen, or the holder of a current Australian permanent residence visa including a current Australian resident return visa.' http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../caniworkinnz/

2) To get an Australian PR visa is not a five-minute job. Look here. http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/887.aspx There is more explanation about Australian PR visas here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austral...anent_resident

3) Notice in point 1) above, the need for the returning resident's visa as well as PR, and in the second link at point 2) the fact that you can't get the returning resident's visa until you have held Australian PR for 5 years.

Well, i believe its not that straightforward. JandM has given some good pointers for this.
    On a different note, i am a bit interested to know why your friend doesn't want to continue in AUS & come to NZ.
    Is there anything very wrong about AUS?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast