Thread: Undergraduate Internship + Work Visa

Unhappy Undergraduate Internship + Work Visa

First of all, this is my first post in the forum so please let me know if there's norm that I should follow

This is a very complicated situation of my close friend and we are just desperate for more advices.

He finished studying his 4 years engineering degree in 2013 but hasn't finished both internships (3 months each) required to complete the degree.
    Luckily enough he got a job November 2013 and the company is keen to offer him permanent position (a.k.a. graduate position). He talked to the university and they allowed him to do both of his internships (total 6 months) at the same company. All is good, but there is no suitable VISA for his case that will allow him to work...

He can't apply for a graduate visa because the university could not provide him a letter saying that he completed his degree (because he hasn't finished the internship, he still has 3 more months).
    He can't apply for a work visa either because the employment is not related to his "qualification" (which he hasn't officially obtained yet). The job at the company definitely fits and relates to his degree (Yes because it can be credited as his internship by the university).

Please advise what visa would work best for him? His student visa is expiring on 31st March 2014 so it is a very depressing time.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Shirley1211; 17th February 2014 at 08:38 AM.

One visa that may fit your friends situation is the Student/Trainee Work Visa. Depending how the course is structured there may be options to extend the student visa, though it would be best to check with Immigration.
    Last edited by eternalkiwi; 20th February 2014 at 08:07 PM.

Thanks! That's helpful but the friend is currently in NZ which makes him eligible to apply for the student/trainee work visa...

Hi. I don't have enough information to know the answer, but if he is still a student on a degree programme (albeit finishing his internships), presumably he still has a student visa that allows him to do the internships?? He can also work for 20 hours a week on a student visa. Is there some way of dong the internship as part of his study and some extra hours (up to 20 a week) for which he gets paid by the same company up until he completes his degree. Then, he can apply for a work or maybe even a residence visa of whichever type is most suitable. (Without more information, I can't say.) Just some thoughts!

Shirley says above:
    His student visa is expiring on 31st March 2014

There is something quite strange about a student having to finish a degree without having a student visa. I think he might be entitled to (or be able to get as a matter of discretion) a further student visa until his degree is complete. This might depend on why he is taking longer than was perhaps expected. I have known many students in this situation who managed to get an extension to their student visa Just a thought??? If a student is finishing a recognised qualification, they can get a visa for less than the normal minimum credit requirements with permission of the course leader at the institution where he is studying.