Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Renters: Quick Poll

No, you might have misunderstood. I was saying that for a person or household earning $100k, a rent payment of just under $400pw represents 31%. It's crazy to me that you can make really good money live that poorly in order to meet the average. $400/week rentals in Wellington are nothing to write home about.

Anyway, that said, we are up around 50%. A 31% rent budget would put us in pretty deplorable conditions in Wellington.

What's encouraging is that a lot of the lower numbers I'm seeing on this thread are from areas well beyond AKL, WGTN, and CHCH. Could be that just the major cities are expensive, and NZ is pretty reasonable overall. Though, I have to wonder where manage to find work in those remote hinterlands.

Single income household 31% Wellington. It is expensive but we live within easy reach of the city and in the Wellington College zone which hikes up the price. We looked at going further out but the transport links aren't reliable enough. I feel your pain we saw some absolute dives and I thought we had a good budget.

In New Plymouth 26% - 10 mins walking distance to city
    In Wellington 32% - 10 mins walking distance to train station, 20 mins train to city

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12