Thread: Cultural perception of young women eating out alone

Default Cultural perception of young women eating out alone

This question sounds a little odd, but coming from an Asian country, women dining alone was pretty frowned upon or unheard of, and most of my female friends avoided doing so like the plague.

Personally, I enjoy the occasional meal out alone, and do so more frequently in NZ than I did in my homeland. I'd assume that NZ is very egalitarian, but I still don't see many young women doing so.

What's the Kiwi perception like on that?

I regularly eat out alone when on business. I haven't really thought about it before but it does seem quite uncommon. I never have an issue doing so and it doesn't really bother me.

I have travelled on my own in Asia several times and also never had an issue. Maybe I'm just seen as a strange westerner!

Hi. There was a time in the UK when this would have seemed odd, but no more! I ate out alone regularly in my 11 years in NZ and if anyone thought I was odd, I never noticed! The great thing about NZ is that if you're not harming anyone else, by and large people leave you alone to do your own thing. Go for it!

I have seen women eating on their own, and good on them. It's a bit like years ago, when it was a no no for a woman to go into a hotel for a drink, I'm talking the lounge bar etc.

My complaint of the day: This country completely lacks barstools.

I know, somebody will name a bar or two that has barstools, but I would guess that they are either empty the majority of the time, or somebody pulls them away from the bar to crowd around a nearby high table.

Most nice restaurants in the US have a bar with stools. When you are dining solo, it is a great place to eat. You can stare into your drink if you don't feel like talking, or you can mingle with other people in the same situation. The bartender is there for free therapy if the place is empty. Food (and drinks) are usually cheaper than in the actual restaurant.

Here's a nice example of what I'm talking about. http://www.baysiderestaurant.com/happy_hour.html

4:30 PM to close, live music, martinis for $6...what could be better? If such a place exists in Auckland or Wellington, I would love to hear about it. There is just no such thing in Hawke's Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by 72andsunny View Post

I know, somebody will name a bar or two that has barstools, but I would guess that they are either empty the majority of the time, or somebody pulls them away from the bar to crowd around a nearby high table.

Most nice restaurants in the US have a bar with stools. When you are dining solo, it is a great place to eat. You can stare into your drink if you don't feel like talking, or you can mingle with other people in the same situation. The bartender is there for free therapy if the place is empty. Food (and drinks) are usually cheaper than in the actual restaurant.

Here's a nice example of what I'm talking about. http://www.baysiderestaurant.com/happy_hour.html

4:30 PM to close, live music, martinis for $6...what could be better? If such a place exists in Auckland or Wellington, I would love to hear about it. There is just no such thing in Hawke's Bay.
    I know what you mean. The bar, even in a tavern or pub, is not often a place to sit.
    The Library in Wellington has a small but nice sitting bar where you can watch the bartenders do their thing. Good drinks but a bit spendy.

Then the country doesn't completely lack bar stools. Hardly the fault of the staff if patrons take them away to sit elsewhere.
    If they are empty, there ya go, a place for you to sit.

Thanks, folks.

That sets my mind more at ease.