Thread: Residency has been declined... could I appeal?

Default Residency has been declined... could I appeal?

Hi all,

A very brief outline of my situation; My husband and I have been in New Zealand since October 2012. We have worked for the maximum 12 months allowed on our working holiday visa (I finished yesterday, he finishes next month). We applied for a Residency under Skilled Migrant category, joint application, and were declined earlier this month based on a few technicalities over our jobs (I work in a team of admin reporting to a team of managers rather than one on one, and do not perform a couple of the tasks on the Skilled List such as booking appointments etc, and he does all the tasks under ICT manager, but his role is not just specifically ICT products, but a whole bunch). They have also said out jobs are not considered substantial work, because our initial contracts at time of submitting were fixed term, although these were extended to 12 months once we had extended our WHV and our employers were legally in a position to do so; we provided immigration with this information back in October. We also had permanent job offers in these roles. Otherwise immigration are happy that we are both healthy, have no criminal records, are in a committed relationship and have settled well here (working, renting etc); but without the points for our work, we do not qualify.

We are just looking for advice to decide if we are in a position to appeal the decision.

Thank you

Sarah

That's tough. Karen Phillips, member of this site, (you will see her postings) , is the lady to advise you.Good luck.