Thread: When applying for apartments/housing how do they access credit?

Default When applying for apartments/housing how do they access credit?

When new immigrants arrive and are applying to rent a house/apartment, how is the applicant's worthiness accessed? WHat reporting do they relyone? As a new immigrant I can bring with me credit references form my landlord here. But in general, how is it handled?

They don't seem to care. Rented 4 places so far and never had any checks.

Hmmmm, OK then so my letters of credit reference form utility companies and previous landlords will probably do. Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Norgal View Post
    When new immigrants arrive and are applying to rent a house/apartment, how is the applicant's worthiness accessed? WHat reporting do they relyone? As a new immigrant I can bring with me credit references form my landlord here. But in general, how is it handled?
    We had to provide proof of our employment, just showed our employment contract.

We had to get our ex landlord to email the letting company direct, saying that we had paid our rent on time and left the last place in good order. Then I had to translate the email for the letting company. Bit of farce really. I did wonder what someone would do if they had left a place they owned in their previous country. I guess provided you have an income and a valid visa only the truly uptight landlords will be bothered.

AFAIK there are credit companies that they call up. If you are newly arrived you wouldn't have a credit score in NZ just yet, but not many agencies would hold that against you, I believe.

Aside from that, I've had an agency ask to see a bank balance statement.

I guess it depends on where you would like to rent. If you rent an apartment in Auckland's CBD you will likely go through a real estate agency. I have had 3 apartments in the CBD and in all cases they asked for a bank statement showing that I have enough funding to pay rent or proof of employment. One of my 3 apartments there was rented through the landlord directly who also asked for two references. Outside of Auckland I never needed any of the above so far.

Thanks to everyone, all your responses are helping me to get a more clear picture of how to be best prepared to obtain a rental.