Thread: How particular are employers when they request a Degree?

Question How particular are employers when they request a Degree?

My OH has worked in a particular area of IT for 12 months and therefore has all the experience required. He can do the job. All the NZ job adverts Ive seen request a Computer Science degree (which he doesn't have) as do most of the UK ones to be honest.

Is an employer likely to overlook that he doesn't have the degree because he has the experience and an alternative qualification instead?

I don't expect this would be a problem. Experience is far more important IMHO.

In my experience, employers will be more inclined here than in the UK to 'overlook' an essential requirement missing (such as a degree) if they think the person would be a good fit for the job (or a good friend from school, or a mate from the golf club, or politically a good match etc.).

However, I don't think 12 months is a lot of experience, and I would be more worried about that than the lack of a degree. I would probably rephrase 'has all the experience required' to something a little less forward sounding, as I am not sure how well it'll go down here coming from someone from abroad with only a year on the job in a different country. It seems that employers are generally quite keen on local (NZ) experience.

Thanks guys :-)

I didn't have to submit my credentials anywhere since past 3+years however while doing job search recently one of the consulting agency had requested me for Bachelors & Masters degree certificates