Thread: Resident visa to permanent resident under tax residence status

Question Resident visa to permanent resident under tax residence status

Hi,

I was looking at the resident visa to permanent resident visa requirements and there are 5 options to obtain PR. No1 point from INZ website states it very clear and that's the easiest i would say to achieve. Now looking at option no2 to obtain PR is about "You have tax residence status".

2. You have tax residence status

You have been in New Zealand as a resident for a total of 41 days or more in each of the two 12-month portions of the 24 months immediately preceding your permanent resident visa application, and you are assessed by Inland Revenue (IR) as holding tax residence status for the two years preceding your application for a permanent resident visa. You must include evidence of your tax residence status with your application. Acceptable evidence includes:

• a statement from IR for the period for which you have been assessed as having tax residence status, or
    • the INZ form Confirmation of Tax Resident Status (INZ 1006) completed and endorsed by IR.

Now may i ask what is that about and how do i achieve that if i want to? Is it something to do with the income tax when i am working there? I know the easiest to obtain would be option no1 but i just want to know what are my other options also and this option no2 i didn't get it at all. I know i will have to be in NZ for at least 41 days in each of the two 12-month portions of the 24 months but the bold part is the confusing one. May be because i haven't started my day work there yet.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by barney; 28th February 2014 at 03:10 AM.

https://www.ird.govt.nz/internationa...ency/personal/