Thread: partner opening business

Default partner opening business

Hi everybody,

Just wanted to ask you a specific question about opening a business. I have seen some related threads here but not quite what i needed to know.
    I hold a 3 year work visa and my spouse wants to open a business with a partner ship visa. I know you can if your partner is: NZ citizen/resident, has student visa, is US government employee, etc.
    I know you people talk about open visa for starting a company but on immigration web site I couldn't find something to clearly say that partners of temporary work visa holders can open a business or not.
    Have e-mailed and phoned immigration and received contradictory answers. And now I'm puzzled. Mybe some of you have had the same problem.

Thank you for your answers/suggestions.

The reference is here. http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/k...base/item/1106 Holders of a partnership work visa are specifically mentioned.

Thank you JandM. Hope you are righ.

Problem is Immigration is saying that my partner cant open the business and sugested me the business category. Probably the immigration employee on the phone was having a bad day, or couldt understand me. I guess Ill have to talk with them again.

Regards.

It is not me saying this - it is the NZ government regulations on that website.

The INZ phone lines are like human FAQ resources, just non-expert people with a computerized database to refer to. What answer you get depends on whether or not they put in the correct keywords. If you have an uncommon question, it sometimes helps to ask to speak to a supervisor. But this is not something you need to query - look at the date on that page. It is law, and it is right, and it is up to date.

JandM is right you probably wound up at a call centre speaking to a clerk on Minimum wage who knows less than you do. Are they actually blocking you?

I think it is normal that you can ask for a decision in writing and then ask for that decision to be reviewed.