Thread: Apply for residency Vs. study PhD to residency.

Default Apply for residency Vs. study PhD to residency.

Hi everyone and thanks for any reply in advance,

I am from VietNam ( 26 years old) and have been in NewZealnd ( Dunedin) since 2007. I got all of my degrees from Otago university and recently achieved my Master degree in Microbiology.
    I am currently under graduate job search visa still November 2014 but get no job offer so far, and properly won't get anything soon.
    I got a clean criminal record with absolute no offenses to any law, perfect medical report and earning my own living expense by self-employed jobs ( property manager)

I have 3 questions:
    1. Should I just go ahead and apply for residency under skilled migrate catalog as I have a level 9 academic degrees and the point calculator suggest that I have 135 points
    Below are how I answer the questions.

Skilled Employment
    Are you now in ongoing skilled employment in New Zealand and have been so for 12 months or longer? No
    Are you now in ongoing skilled employment in New Zealand but that employment has been for less than 12 months? No
    Do you have an offer of skilled employment in New Zealand? No
    Is your work, or offer of employment, in any one of New Zealand's:
    identified future growth areas? No
    areas of absolute skills shortage? Yes
    Is your work or offer of employment for a location outside of Auckland in New Zealand? No
    Qualifications
    Do you have a recognised qualification? (level 7 or 8) Yes ( I have Bsc of Scince in Nz)
    Do you have a recognised qualification? (level 3,4,5,6) Yes ( I got Foundation degrees in Nz)
    Did you begin your study for level 3, 4, 5 or 6 recognised qualification on or before 24 July 2011? Yes
    Do you have a recognised level 9 or 10 post-graduate qualification (Master's Degree or Doctorate)? Yes
    Do you have a bachelor’s degree gained in New Zealand following at least two years of full time study? Yes
    Do you have a recognised post-graduate qualification gained in New Zealand following at least one year full time study? Yes
    Do you have a recognised post-graduate qualification gained in New Zealand following at least two years of full time study? Yes
    Do you have a qualification in any one of New Zealand's:
    identified future growth areas? No
    areas of absolute skills shortage? Yes
    Transitional Provisions:
    Answer the following questions if you were studying towards or had completed your qualification as at 24 July 2011 and you did not claim points for a completed bachelor’s or post graduate degree gained in New Zealand.
    Have you studied full time in New Zealand towards a New Zealand recognized qualification of two years or more? Yes
    Do you have a recognized basic New Zealand qualification gained in New Zealand? Yes
    Relevant Work Experience
    Number of years of relevant work experience (anywhere) None
    Number of years of relevant work experience in New Zealand None
    Number of years work experience in any one of New Zealand's: None
    identified future growth areas ?

areas of absolute skills shortage ?

Was the work experience gained in a comparable labour market or an area of absolute skills shortage? No
    Other Family
    Do you have a close family member living in New Zealand, who is a resident or citizen of New Zealand? No
    Partner
    Do you have a partner? No
    Would your partner have the required English proficiency to qualify as a principal applicant? No
    Is your partner currently in skilled employment in New Zealand, or has he/she been offered skilled employment in New Zealand? No
    Does your partner have a recognised qualification ? (level 7, 8, 9 or 10) No
    Does your partner have a recognised qualification ? (level 3, 4, 5 or 6) No
    Did your partner begin study for their level 3, 4, 5 or 6 recognised qualification on or before 24 July 2011? No
    Does your partner have a close family member living in New Zealand, who is a resident or citizen of New Zealand? No

I did some research and it seem my field of study in belong to " area of essential skill in demain" list:

Occupational group: science Occupation and ANZSCO number: Microbiologist (234517)

2.I can enroll for another year to archive Master of Science in Biochemistry and eventually upgrade to PhD candidate. Then, should I apply for residency during my PhD or at the end of my PhD study ?
    Some of my colleagues got their residency during their PhD study or after they finished the decreed with no job offer or any work experience during 2011-2012 (just pure full time study and research). However, I also know there were cases of unsuccessful residency application for some PhD student. Thus I am quite confused with this option.

3. Should I just keep searching for a job with minimum 12 months contract and apply for the residency after ? will any job do or it much be in microbiology ?
    I understand that this is properly the short test and easiest option but finding a job as newly graduated student is very hard nowadays. I was refused many times ( 20 times so far) already as I cannot competed again people with experienced in the field, while my visa is reach the expiratory slowly. So this option seem to me the most unstable.

Can anyone give me some guidance what the best option to process ? also please correct me if I make any mistake or assumption with any point above ( especially in question 1 and 2). I am particularly curious about the option of study PhD to residency.

And lastly, as shamelessly as I must ask, is there anyone or know anyone need a microbiology laboratory technician or any position related to science ?

Best regards and my sincere apology for a lengthening post as well as any offense I may cause.

Doing a PhD does not bring you any more points for your resident visa application however it helps you have more time to stay here to pursue your dream of working and staying in New Zealand. So my suggestion is:
    1. Apply for resident visa asap (with 135 points). Whatever it is selected or not but you have nothing to lose.
    2. Keep looking for a job matching to your qualifications. If you get it, go to apply for resident visa based on your job.
    3. Join in the PhD Program if you can. New Zealand new regulation allow PhD student work full-time so you still can study and look for a full-time job. You can change you PhD study to part-time whenever you get a job offer and go back to 2 step above.

Hope it helps.
    Cheers.

Hi
    Maybe try to find job in other city as : Chch or north island also
    Keep searching
    Brian