Thread: Claiming bonus points for a qualifications

Default Claiming bonus points for a qualifications

Hello all

What evidence to I need to submit if I am claiming bonus points for a qualification in an identified furter growth area, or in an area of absolute shortage? If is to provide IQA report, what specific information are they looking into?

Hi. So I assume you have a job offer relating to this IFGA. In this case, you will need an IQA if your qualification is not on the List of Qualifications Exempt from Assessment and you will need to show that the content of the degree relates to the jo.b which relates to the IFGA. See below
    SM16.10 Qualifications in an identified future growth area

A recognised qualification(s) in an identified future growth area will only qualify for points if:

the principal applicant has points for current skilled employment or an offer of skilled employment in an identified future growth area (see SM8.10); and
    the qualification is relevant to that employment (see SM16.10.1).

SM16.10.1 Relevance of qualification(s) to skilled employment in an identified future growth area

A recognised qualification is relevant to skilled employment in an area of identified future growth if an immigration officer is satisfied that:

the major subject area of the recognised qualification is directly applicable to skilled employment in an identified future growth area that qualifies for points (see SM8.10); and
    the skilled employment is in an occupation for which that qualification is a core requirement.

Hi Karen, I do not have job offer. does this mean I can't claim the bonus point?

I am afraid it does. You can claim AASS points without a job offer but IFGA points are only claimable if you have a job offer in NZ related to that qualification. How does this affect your points total?

Based on the F16 question, they noted "You cannot claim these bonus points unless:
    - You have a qualication relevant to your occupation as specified in column four of the LTSSL or
    - You have skilled empolyment in new zealand in an area of ASSS, Technical or Managerial expertise....

since my skill is under LTSSL and IQA specified, I believe I can claim this bonus point???

This is a claim for Area of Absolute Skills Shortage (AASS) not Identified Future Growth Area (IFGA). You can claim the AASS points but not the IFGA points - but then you can't claim both under normal circumstances any way. Sorry if I confused you - I was looking specifically at the IFGA part of your question. Does this put your mind at rest?

Based on AASS does this meant that if my IQA specify Bsc in IT level 7 I am qualify for the bonus point? So what.does it means qualification revelvant to your occupation? Do I need to show occupation relate to IT? If so how?

When applying under SMC, you have to put forward a certain skilled occupation as what you are offering to bring to the NZ economy. The qualifications you claim points for (under the various sections) have to relate to that skilled occupation.