Thread: Setting up as a sole trader

Red face Setting up as a sole trader

Hello folks,

Hope you are all well.

I am a newbie to NZ and just got my work visa. I am thinking about setting up a sole trader business. However, after reading all the govt websites about introduction of business structures, I still couldn't find out where/how exactly to set up my small business. In order to register with govt agency, what steps to follow?

Please, can anyone advise?

Thank you very much!

You don't need much in the way of formalities. http://www.business.govt.nz/starting...n-sole-traders

But what kind of visa do you have? You call it a work visa, and these are normally linked to one employment.

Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply! I am having a work visa under essential skills. I work full-time at a company. Does it mean that I may not be entitled to setting up my sole trade business?? That would be sad!

Thanks again.

Janet

PS: i don't wanna quit my current job, I just wanna do this business in my spare time. Is that ok? Thanks

Hi. If you have a partner who is on a partnership-based work visa (an "open" work visa) then your partner could set up a business. However, this isn't a possibility for you while you are on an Essential Skills visa, as this only allows you to work in the occupation stated for the nominated employer. However, if you apply for residence and get accepted, there are no barriers. Once you get to this point the process is really easy. I guess the alternative is to hang on for another month until the details of the points system fro the new Entrepreneur Work Visa are finalised and see if you would meet the requirements. You could then apply for this and if successful, switch visa. Have a read of http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/k...ase/item/12813 and even read the linked cabinet paper. Details will be available next month and applications will be accepted from early April.

We saw this thread posted quite recently http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....094#post493094, where someone on a Work To Residence visa got variation of their visa conditions from INZ, allowing them to work a second job in their spare time, after their sponsoring employer testified that they didn't mind. So it's worth checking with INZ to see if you can also get a variation. (This is something that isn't in the ordinary regulations, so, if you phone INZ, the ordinary phone answerers will not know what to say to you - you'll need to ask to speak to someone senior who can deal with this unusual question. Those who first pick up are like an animated FAQ system, with access to a databank of replies.)

Thank you Karen and JandM. Very helpful indeed!