Thread: Long-term, temporary care for dogs and cat .................

Default Long-term, temporary care for dogs and cat .................

After a very promising interview, it looks as though my husband may be offered a permanent job in New Zealand - find out for certain in about 1-2 weeks time.

One small hiccup is that we've never been to NZ but we're quite well travelled etc so the prospect of moving to NZ permanent doesn't worry us - we're all very pleased with the idea. If it's a yes with the job. Great. But we must consider the "what if ..." scenarios, with the main one being that even though the prospect of moving to NZ permanently sounds lovely, we have to remind ourselves that there is a chance of "What if after 6 months-1year we find it isn't for us?"

My husband has said he should go ahead and then bring us out later. Personally I think it's going to take at least 2 years to begin to settle in properly. Also, (and knowing my husband) if he is without the family to support him for a long time, he could have a knee-jerk reaction and come back home only after 2-3 months. Sooo, to get to the point: I'm trying to find a way that we can experience this as a family, so that we can be supportive to one-another. If we do that, we have to seriously consider what to do with our 2 dogs and cat - if we go with him, do we leave the pets behind - temporarily until we're all 100% that it's permanent?

We don't have relatives that could take the pets for that length of time, and although we know a very good kennels that the pets have stayed at before when we've had holidays etc., I doubt if we could afford the fees for such a long stay and aren't keen for them to be in kennels for that long anyway.

I think we'll end up having to bring them with us - it doesn't feel right to leave them for so long - and have to swallow the costs.

OR..... is there something that we haven't thought of???

I don't think there's anything you haven't thought of. And obviously, the pets' preference for being with you, their family, is in the forefront of your mind.

It's not what everyone could afford to do, but two doors away from me in the UK there lives a little Siamese cat who has made the trip to NZ and back five times, with her dual citizenship owner.

Well, JandM,
    I've been racking my brains to the point of thinking myself into a hole in the ground. I can't think of a way around it and yes, I do think they'll have to come with us.
    Thanks.
    N.