Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expiring Passport

Default Expiring Passport

Hi all,

I am new on here and do not how i ask a question. Here is my question - I qualify for NZ citizenship in Dec 2016 however my Indian passport expires in May 2016. Would i need to renew my indian passport to apply for NZ citizenship or am i able to use the expired passport and apply?

Thank you
    Last edited by priyanshlall; 17th March 2014 at 11:38 AM.

You will have to renew your passport. High Commission of India, Wellington handles such cases (http://www.hicomind.org.nz/hcinz/).

Once you have the new passport, you can transfer your existing visa (PR?) to the new one. This will be done by INZ.

We recently applied for our NZ Citizenship and only had expired UK passports that we sent with our application. There was no issue with them being expired (1 year). The only concern I guess would be if you wished to travel out of NZ before the complete citizenship process and NZ passports were obtained and needed a passport for this purpose. Once we received our documents back we then renewed our UK passports.

Thanks a lot Catherine.. That answers my question. I do not intend to travel until I receive citizenship and my NZ passport so guessing it's all good. Congratulations on receiving your citizenship. Could I ask how long was the whole process?
    Last edited by priyanshlall; 17th March 2014 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CatherineP View Post
    We recently applied for our NZ Citizenship and only had expired UK passports that we sent with our application. There was no issue with them being expired (1 year). The only concern I guess would be if you wished to travel out of NZ before the complete citizenship process and NZ passports were obtained and needed a passport for this purpose. Once we received our documents back we then renewed our UK passports.
    Does that mean the Residence/PR visa in your passport was still valid regardless of your passport having expired? Thinking in terms of what happens if in the meantime you would have applied for a new job or something similar where you'd need to prove your visa status.

Quote Originally Posted by Elaine_NZ View Post
    Does that mean the Residence/PR visa in your passport was still valid regardless of your passport having expired? Thinking in terms of what happens if in the meantime you would have applied for a new job or something similar where you'd need to prove your visa status.
    As far as I am aware your passport will expire not your residency.

Our citizenship application is in the process with the first stage being done- document check and return. We have been advised it takes around 4 months at present although I really don't know the accuracy of this.
    Interesting point about the validity of the PR visa in an expired passport. Your immigration status hasn't changed so may be it wouldn't matter.

I think that's right. The visa relates to the person, not to their documents which have to be renewed periodically. For instance, PR is for your whole life, so it is bound to 'outlive' numerous passports.

Hi JandM

We received 'Work to Residence' visa in November 2014. The visa is valid until May 2017.However it's because my husband's visa expires in May 2015, they issued a visa until 1 Feb 2015. We didn't realize that this is the expiry of the visa itself, as we received a letter stating that the visa is granted until May 2017 upon providing a current valid passport. Anyway we applied for the renewal of his passport now, but what bothers is that we will not receive his new passport before 1 Feb 2014. We went to the Christchurch branch in person and inquired. They advised us to submit an application for 'transfer of visa label' with a certified copy of the passport and an evidence that we have applied for renewing the passport, so they can hold the application for us. He also mentioned that they can't hold for long, so advised to submit the application for transfer of label just about a week before the current visa expires. I just want to know if we're in trouble if we don't receive passport on time?

Thanks. Sen

Quote Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
    You will have to renew your passport. High Commission of India, Wellington handles such cases (http://www.hicomind.org.nz/hcinz/).

Once you have the new passport, you can transfer your existing visa (PR?) to the new one. This will be done by INZ.
    Disagree. A passport is a travel document used for identity purposes. If you aren't travelling you don't need a valid passport. A passport expiring in no way invalidates your residence, nor do you need another valid passport to apply for NZ citizenship

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast