Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: best car GPS navigation in NZ

I recently bought TomTom GO 600 model which has free lifetime map and traffic update for NZ/AUS. Let`s see how i go...

I'm a big fan of Nokia and the Nokia HERE Maps work flawlessly in the US & NZ and in my opinion are better than the offerings from Apple & Google. Waze is really good but it's a data/battery monster.

Yes, smartphones have apps for gps, BUT you are using it through cellular data. There are remote areas that you can experience dead spot for your cellular data,and this time GPS sold in the market like TomTom, Navman, Garmin, Magellan, etc. are useful. ('',)

Google map on my Android phone. As for going to the countryside, ALWAYS bring a paper map and be aware of your surrounds, what road you're traveling on etc. You can get free maps if you're an AA member, or locally at information centres.

If the route has already been set, cellular coverage is not required. The phone is relying on GPS (satellites) rather than cell towers.

Quote Originally Posted by jawnbc View Post
    Data charges. GPS data charges can be hateful!
    Google Maps does allow you to download maps at home, so you don't use data when you are actually travelling.

Quote Originally Posted by kirillkruger View Post
    Google Maps does allow you to download maps at home, so you don't use data when you are actually travelling.
    Well there is an ability to download desired location map on your google maps application. You can geofence desired location and download it maps on your smartphone. Keep in mind that such a kind of maps do require a lot of space on our smatphone. But if you know your desired route in advante the is ability to download these maps.

Google Maps works well if you download the areas you'll be travelling through in advance.

Another good option is HERE WeGo maps. You can download all of NZ in advance and navigate offline with no cell service.

Quote Originally Posted by StaciP View Post
    Google Maps works well if you download the areas you'll be travelling through in advance.

Another good option is HERE WeGo maps. You can download all of NZ in advance and navigate offline with no cell service.
    Yes, HERE maps works really good. I've been using it across all Germany while traveling in summer. Another one useful option is cell phone tracker app by gpswox. It has ability to integrate with Here maps and Google maps also. The main feature is location reporting to a third part. I do use it among all family members. When my kids was traveling across Scandinavia, Sweden and Norway fjords we set a constant reporting every 30 minutes. Really I do not want to look as I suspect my kids or something. But it is good to know where they are and it is really easy to track a whole journey. It's quite easy to install mobile tracking app, https://www.gpswox.com/en/mobile-apps do have an applications and even a free plan if you're using only one device. Well we used a subscription, because we do have ability to tracker everyone each other family members

GPS Vehicle Tracking is a great utility tool. Actually, it's a must-have now if you have a large fleet. But for personal use it's also helpful.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast