Thread: Citizenship by Birth in New Zealand

Default Citizenship by Birth in New Zealand

I would like to ask if anyone recently have a newborn in NZ while parents on Resident Visa status (not Permanent Resident yet) about baby citizenship status.

I have checked online and it says clearly (New Zealand citizenship at birth only if at least one of their parents is a New Zealand citizen; or is entitled to be in New Zealand indefinitely in terms of the Immigration Act 2009 (i.e. has a residence permit or visa)) and even in this forum many people talked about the same point.
    However, Yesterday I checked directly with dia/citizenship and they said only Permanent Resident and even it's mentioned with key words (Permanent Resident) in birth registration form

I believe there is no different between Resident Visa and Permanent except the travel conditions

Please, my question, Is there anyone recently had a baby with the same status while their visa is Resident (not permanent) and what is the citizenship of your baby?

Really appreciate your kind help, since for me, it will be such as difficult to get him a passport from my original country

Thanks

If you have Residence, your baby born in NZ is entitled to NZ citizenship, as it says on the website you found. A lot of people, even in government departments, are confused by the change of names of visas that happened back in 2010, and they can be using leaflets and forms printed before that. You are right. You need to ask to speak to a senior or supervisor, and it will be sorted out.

JandM is correct and I can confirm that my son was born in NZ while I was on Resident Visa and he was NZ citizen by birth. You need to ensure that birth registration forms are completed correctly to get the Birth certificate with NZ citizenship status.

Really, it’s great feeling to have people around helping you. Many thanks JandM and shawankit.

By the way, Shawankit, Did you have your son after 29 November 2010 when Act 2009 came into force

Thanks

Look at his timeline and you'll see his son must have arrived since the name changes. He didn't get his Residence approved till December 2010, and then arrive in Auckland in February 2011.