Thread: When can a partner begin work?

Default When can a partner begin work?

Hi All,

We've been concentrating so much on my work prospects that we haven't researched my wife's status and wondered if someone could advise please?

We are going for the PR and I'll be the main applicant because of qualifications, profession on the skills shortage list etc.

Once approved and we arrive in NZ and I begin work, what is the status for my wife, does she need to apply for a work visa etc. What are approximate timescales?

Any advice appreciated

Hi. When you say you are going for PR, I imagine you are applying for residence under Skilled Migrant Category. PR (Permanent Residence) comes further down the track these days. However, assuming your wife is named on your residence application and the residence is approved, she can start work as soon as she activates her visa by arriving with you in NZ as the holders of residence visas. (Should she go ahead, she would have problems because you are the Principal Applicant and you need to activate your visa either first or at the same time. Hope this helps! Karen

Hi Karen,
    Yes that's exactly the approach we are taking.

My wife wouldn't look for work until we were settled in NZ.

Well at least the cat has had her Rabies jab, so she's on the 6 month count-down. We just need to find me a job and sell our house now :-)

Thanks again.

have you had the rabies blood test taken as the 6mths countdown wont start till u get the blood results back,that will determin the 6month count down.we have had our cat/dog blood taken on tuesday so vet will ph us when results come in next wk,then we will be on our countdown for them to fly,we to will be selling the house but not till its closer to pets being able to fly and for the recoured it is hard to find a job b4 you get there,not saying it cant be done but alot of people have had abit of trouble in that area.my husband would like a job b4 we get there but that aint gona happen,he's a car machanic so not on the skilled list,but he married to me the kiwi so we going over on partner-based visa,plenty of machanic jobs and he also went to see afew places while we were over for xmas with my family...anyway good luck to you m8.