Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Relocation Packages: what type did you get?

Default Relocation Packages: what type did you get?

Hello, I posted this thread in Immigration and only received a few replies. We are actively seeking employment as Site Manager (I say we, it is my husband who is the Site Manager) and we are getting concerned over the costs to get there and settle. I was wondering what type of relocation packages people received, and did they negotiate them or were they just offered. Our industry is Construction Management. Thanks for any info you can provide. My husband has some solid interviews coming up and we would like some knowledge of this going into receiving offers.

I just did a quick search for "relocation packages" in the forum search box and there were a few threads from 2011/12 and some as far back, and probably not that useful, as 2005. It seems as if a lot of people ask, and according to the experiences here, there is no standard amount or even offer. It doesn't appear that anyone has reported being rejected for asking, if that's your worry.

I work in higher education: universities in NZ need to be generous when recruiting overseas, since retaining academics is difficult when competing with unis in places like Australia, the UK, Canada and the US (on salaries, grants, etc).

So I got:
    +Airfares for me and my immediate family
    +20 foot container
    +3 weeks in a serviced apartment
    +$1000 towards visa costs
    +property consultation/housing tour once here
    +Where to Live in Auckland book

This last one would have covered almost all of a work-to-residence visa, but I chose to go immediately for the SMC category 'full' residency. So I was out of pocket about $2000.00. We weren't allowed to include vehicles in the cost of the container, but were able to bring hubby's motorcycle for a very reasonable add-on fee (our stuff wouldn't fill the container, even with the bike).

Since the container was pack/unpack with all documentation and clearances facilitated, it was a massive timesaver and stress reducer. Felt like royalty!

My partner was offered the "standard" relocation package for his industry, not construction, we didn't negotiate any further, we thought ourselves very lucky!

- flights for him + family
    - relocation of all our worldly possessions (the size wasn't limited)
    - our visa costs reimbursed
    - airport pick-up
    - 1st month accommodation
    - hire car for 15 days
    - $2000 "hello" in first pay package
    - services of a relocation consultant who helped with finding doctors, a rental etc

If he leaves before 2 years we have to reimburse a %

The only thing missing was help with pets but they just said no, however we've heard of other people in other industries having help with animal transportation costs also.
    Good luck with the interviews

I work in the public sector, but in a LTSS area. I was offered a one way economy ticket for myself only, repayable on a pro rata basis if I leave in within two years. Nothing else. Partly because its the public sector , partly because of the GFC, and partly due to the fact people were using the employer as a stopping off point to get SMC and then leaving in a very short time. Even though they could recover the costs, they had become quite cynical about being so helpful on arrival. I did negotiate a higher starting level of salary though, and if I stay with them two years that will be equivalent to what a relocation package might have been. I thought it showed good intent on my part. However, I was able to meet my own relocation costs, I recognise not everyone will have enough put by to be able to do that.

WOW thanks. I appreciate the much better response now I posted inthe right forum spot. I was a little worried about asking if none was offered. But hey, I will just go for it. We have JUST enough to make it. Literally. We would get off the plane with pocket money and rent security and two weeks rent in the bank and that would be it. At this point, if we just got a few airline tickets, or the pet transporter covered or just the Visa it would be such a relief. The more you know about something like this the better you can prepare. Heck the cost of a container is nearly our whole budget to move their. WE are bringing nothing just our suitcases and selves. We have always been real minimalists, and even lived in a camper for 8 years. So we do not have any traditional belongings. I am just really hopeful we can negotiate a small, maybe 5% of one years salary package to ease the pressure of arrival. Thanks again, hoping to see more posts.

I don't think anyone will be put off because you ask. But be prepared for the fact that there are large numbers of migrants who don't get any relocation package at all.

FWIW I used relocation package & signing bonus requests as a negotiation platform to get a higher salary while conveying to HR/HM that their offer was not my only offer. In my case it worked for both companies and they came back with higher offers for my starting salary/bonus percentage in that if it doesn't workout I can always be termed. I would rather have a higher salary than a relo package because 5 years down the road, that salary and the annual salary percentage increase will be a far larger compensation amount than asking for a relo package with a reduced salary.

That is a good point about the salary versus relocation package. I am just really in a panic about the cost to relocate the pets. I am about 5K short of being comfortable in my move. SIGH.....

I did not get anything (DHB) but my husband got $10K NZ which covered our shipping costs. Most migrants I know from the UK and US did not get anything.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast