Thread: Special Care Workers, Can i apply Residence on this Job?

Lightbulb Special Care Workers, Can i apply Residence on this Job?

Hi All
    My wife works as a UNIT GROUP 4234 SPECIAL CARE WORKER (residential support worker), which is skill level 4 on ANZSCO - Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations, 2013. She studied for Applied science and business which is not related to her job.(I think).
    Q1. Can she apply for residence on this job? I checked and this job is on part A of the List of Skilled Occupations held at Appendix 6 of the Operational Manual , which makes this job to be called "SKILLED". right?
    Q2. If she can apply on basis of this job, Can she claims points for her studies which is Level 5 diploma's or not. These diploma's are not related to her job. her job requires a level 2 certificate which she have but i think there will be no points for level 2 certificate?
    Thanks.

I'm sorry and I know this isn't what you want to hear, but only jobs that are graded as ANZSCO Skill Levels 1 - 3 count as skilled work for the purposes of SMC application. I don't know what you are seeing in the list at Appendix 6 part A - that's where the Level 1 and some Level 2 careers are, and your wife's job is Level 4.

For information, when putting in an EOI with a job offer, the qualifications have to relate to the job.

Thanks for your reply JandM.
    On appendix 6 of operational manual (http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/35165.htm) ,, Residential support worker comes under SKILL level 2 (411715 Residential Care Officer) and when i serach this on ANZSCO website (http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@....upport+Workers) , All conditions and requirements are being met.
    I was checking this manual (http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/42637.htm) and i couldnt find anywhere where it says that to gain points for qualification , qulaification have to be relevent to job? Can you please send me the link or something where it says that?
    Well i am just confused, sorry if i am asking dumb questions

I am sorry JandM,,, I made a mistake when i said "My wife works as a UNIT GROUP 4234 SPECIAL CARE WORKER (residential support worker), which is skill level 4 on ANZSCO".
    Its not skill level 4, its skill level 2.ooops

The key is to make sure your roles matches the tasks described in ANZSCO in order to claim that job as your skilled employment. In lieu of the formal qualification, you need to have specified number of years of experience in that role.

Yup I totally agree with that. According to ANZSCO , One year experience can substitute the qualification for this job. which is totally fine as she have been working for a year.
    Thanks for reply

It's a bit difficult to point you to the right immigration information if you haven't given the right career information.

On your further comments, I would say, having visited various residential facilities for my work, be careful that you're not taking on a description that you HOPE to see for the job that your wife does. The care workers don't do all parts of the job that the people in charge over them do, and it's this second group who have the Level 2 categorization.