Thread: Dual Citizenship

Default Dual Citizenship

Hi all, I've been eligible for citizenship for a while now and my impending UK passport expiry (May 2015) has prompted me to do something about it. I presume if I have dual citizenship I won't have to pay for putting stickers in my new UK one.
    I've checked and only found the fact that NZ allows dual with most countries, including the UK but how does one go about getting it? Is it just a case of applying for NZ then keeping the UK passport up to date? Or would I have to renounce UK to become solely NZ? If this is the case then I would imagine most people obtaining NZ citizenship would have dual citizenship by default.
    Alan.

You can hold dual UK/NZ citizenship. You apply for citizenship in NZ, get your NZ passport and also keep your UK one. You will always be entitled to both once you have them, even if they run out - unless the rules change of course. I find it helpful to travel with both passports. When I enter and leave NZ they like me to use my NZ passport and similarly, I use the UK one the other end. The authorities know you have both.

Getting NZ citizenship won't affect your UK citizenship, and nor does having/not having a valid UK passport. Certainly for people who start out as UK citizens, your last comment about getting dual citizenship by default is right.

Indeed, just become a kiwi and you're dual. One thing to consider: if you feel having 2 passports is too expensive you can get an endorsement in your UK passport showing you're a NZ citizen. But I've always kept valid passports for all my citizenships: amortised over 5 or 10 years it's worth it to me for taking the shortest queue possible upon arrival in each country. Buy my in-laws mostly only have NZ passports, so when they go to the UK (once a decade usually) they go with one UK passport so they can use the UK citizens expedited queue.

Thanks for all your help. On a similar subject my wife won't qualify for citizenship (doesn't meet the "in NZ" target). There isn't a system where she gets the same status as her husband is there? She has residency of course? I see that all new UK renewals must go to London now. Where does she get her blue sticker from after renewing her passport? NZ House in London or an immigration office here in NZ, if she is here at the time?
    Thanks, Alan.

Has she qualified for (permanent) residence--in other words, after 2 years on her original residency was her visa converted to residence in perpetuity?

Yes she has PR, had it for 5+ years so there is no real panic if she isn't allowed citizenship, but it would be nice.