Thread: Nelson area beachside

Default Nelson area beachside

If one loves beaches, both for swimming and walking along, where would be the ideal place to live in the Nelson area? (One also loves views of the sea and needs to be within cycling reach of the Boys College)......not asking much am I?!

Tahunanui will be the only swimming/walking beach that would be within cycling distance to Nelson Boys. There are a lot of waterfront areas suitable for walking and swimming from Atawhai to Tahunanui but Tahuna is the only real sandy beach. However, Nelson is small so it is possible to live in an area relatively close to the school, have a view, and be close to the walking/cycle paths that go along the waterfront and parks. Neighbourhoods to look at: The Brook, The Wood, Britannia Heights, Enner Glynn, Tahunanui Heights, Atawhai, Monaco and Tahunanui. Tahunanui is flat and under the flight path but it's a little beach community.

Thank you, that's helpful.

Carey,
    Almost all of Nelson is within reasonable riding distance of Tahunanui Beach - we are 10km from Tahuna and can ride there in about 20 minutes (ok, I like to ride faster than most ) on dedicated cycle path and cycle lanes from Atawhai. Nelson College is an easy bike from just about anywhere in town, as is Girls. The one complication would be if you are up on the Port Hills (great views) then you will have a good climb up on the way back in the afternoon. There are regular busses between town, Tahunanui, Atawhai and Stoke (plus Richmond) with bike racks in case the rain hits or you don't feel like a pedal home.

You get the best views of the sea from the Port Hills (pricier in exchange) and Atawhai (but further from town). We are 5 km from Nelson CBD by bike but my wife bikes to work and my daughter to college almost every day. We look out over the Bay to Abel Tasman. The Wood, Brook, Bishopdale, Washington Valley, parts of Stoke, Tahunanui and other 'core' neighbourhoods don't have sea views since they are either flat or on the back side of the Port Hills.

For a longer excursion, you can bike from Nelson all the way out to Rabbit Island which has 8km of gentle, uncrowded beach. The Great Taste Trail is off-road for all but a few km and follows the estuary and river stop banks through some surprisingly pretty and quiet lands, given the industry on the inland side. I'll point you to some bike hire when you are here, since you'll have the opportunity to see our environs first hand in just a few weeks

Thank you, all helpful info. Can't wait to come and explore soon.

Well, if you are going to take the Great Taste Trail you should definitely continue on from Rabbit Island and take the ferry to Mapua.