Thread: Degree Classification

Default Degree Classification

Hi All,

I received an ordinary BA degree in Information Technology via The Open University in 1993

The OU then began offering BSc degrees (with Hons), so I did another two years and 'converted' the BA to a BSc (Hons) in IT (awarded in 1995)

Now here's the issue.

There are no dates listed for qualifications with The Open University between 1993 and 2000, surely this must be an error as degrees were awarded throughout the years between.

Although the Open University is on the universities list and the BA and BSc are also on the list, it seems like the BSc (BS on the list) was only recognised since 2000 although I was awarded mine in 1995.

I suppose I cannot submit my BA because it was not 'Hons' so presumably I'd need validation for the BSc Hons?

Seems unfair to have to pay another $700 and wait up to 8 weeks for what must be an error.

Ooh - I had never noticed this before - it does seem odd. I will see what I can find out, but there might be an obscure reason for it. When you say "another $700" have you already had one IQA done?

Thanks Karen,

Yes, we had my wife's Photography Design Diploma evaluated. As it happens, unnecessarily as we have 125 points on the EOI, so a job offer is essential anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Phillips View Post
    Ooh - I had never noticed this before - it does seem odd. I will see what I can find out, but there might be an obscure reason for it. When you say "another $700" have you already had one IQA done?

Hi. I checked. Apparently, only NZQA can tell you why there is this gap with the OU! I doubt they will say it was a mistake. What a pain! If the 125 points includes 50 points for your degree and you have sufficient work experience to be deemed skilled for that occupation without a degree (for example, the ANZSCO often says " at least 3 years or 5 years relevant experience may be considered a substitute... bla bla", then with a job offer you would have 50 points to replace the 50 for your degree and as you only need 100 if it includes a job offer, you might be able to save yourself the $746 and the wait!

Thanks again Karen,

I'd be looking at a job offer in 'IT Project/Programme Management' and showing my age a bit now, I have around 20 years experience so should be able to satisfy that one.

I'm not that concerned about the £300 BGP (it's a drop in the ocean in relation to the full emigration costs) and I suppose I could put the NZQA investigation into action whilst waiting for the job offer. Or is it necessary to have the job offer and visa application started to be able to verify the qualification with NZQA (if I did decide to go that route)?

Hi
    You need a Preliminary Assessment Result at least before you can claim the points on your EOI, so best to get under way with the assessment. Personally, I think the PAR is a waste of time and money as it often comes back with a different result from the eventual IQA! I would get on with the IQA, keep applying for jobs and hopefully it will all come together. It's quite hard, but not impossible, to get jobs from outside NZ at the moment.

Thanks again Karen,

Once our house is sold, I would be happy to 'pop' over to NZ if some interviews could be lined up.

Otherwise, would we be mad I wonder to just up sticks and go to NZ, shipping furniture, cat etc and look at sorting job(s) once there?

Hi
    You need a Preliminary Assessment Result at least before you can claim the points on your EOI, so best to get under way with the assessment. Personally, I think the PAR is a waste of time and money as it often comes back with a different result from the eventual IQA! I would get on with the IQA, keep applying for jobs and hopefully it will all come together. It's quite hard, but not impossible, to get jobs from outside NZ at the moment.

It's a real dilemma for people these days. If you have specific dates (in the future) for your reconnoitre, I would send my CV to everyone I could think of and tell them that you will be in NZ from x to y and would like an interview so that even if they don't have a job right that moment, they will have met you and know who you are. Singapore Airlines had some good offers from UK-NZ returns fro under £900. Could be worse. I am sure you are aware that job hunting in NZ between mid December and end of Jan is pretty tricky - everyone's gone to the beach or the hills! If you want to send me a Private Message I will pass on my email address and would be happy to forward your CV. Have you determined where in NZ you would like to be based?

Hi Karen,

PM sent.

On the face of it, we'd like to be based in Auckland and most IT Companies seem to have offices there. Wellington is another option and in fact anywhere would be considered. We have a 12 year old outdoor loving son, so schools, friends etc would of course need consideration too.

I'm hoping to be living in NZ before December, but we'll see :-)

It's a real dilemma for people these days. If you have specific dates (in the future) for your reconnoitre, I would send my CV to everyone I could think of and tell them that you will be in NZ from x to y and would like an interview so that even if they don't have a job right that moment, they will have met you and know who you are. Singapore Airlines had some good offers from UK-NZ returns fro under £900. Could be worse. I am sure you are aware that job hunting in NZ between mid December and end of Jan is pretty tricky - everyone's gone to the beach or the hills! If you want to send me a Private Message I will pass on my email address and would be happy to forward your CV. Have you determined where in NZ you would like to be based?