Thread: First forum post, questions about leaving Canada to go to NZ

Cool First forum post, questions about leaving Canada to go to NZ

Hello and I thank you for taking the time to read my post, I really appreciate it!

I stumbled upon this site today and it seems like a great resource.

I am an 18 year old male from Ontario Canada.

Here is my current situation. I am a city guy, but have always loved the outdoors. I am young, but New Zealand seems like a wonderful country. I am just finishing my last year of highschool and can't wait for it to be over. Next year, I am going to College for Agriculture. I would be getting an agricultural diploma in two years, and would have no student debt. Or I could stay another two years and get my degree but then have student debt.

I was wondering if you have any advice on which is better according to what NZ Emmigration prefers? Obviously a degree is seen as better, but, as anyone, I don't like debt. Would a diploma not be seen well by Emigration?

As well, I was wondering if you know if the Agricultural industry is prosperous in New Zealand? I understand it is a big industry, but are there many jobs and do they pay well enough?

Another big concern for me is tax. Canadas tax is ever-increasing and it is scary now. What is the tax like there?

I was also wondering about the politics of New Zealand, does it tend to be more left or right or center? More Authoritarian or Libertarian?

I was also wondering if it is ever too hot in North Island or too cold in South Island?

So basically, it comes down to this: I would really like to move to New Zealand and find employment, money isn't the main goal of this, however, I don't like debt or living with hardly enough to get by on. I want to be able to one day buy a nice piece of rural property and have a small hobby farm additional to my employment, does this sound realistic?

I have looked at prices of property in New Zealand compared to Canada and it is ridiculously cheaper, and the property in New Zealand is comparable to paradise.

If you have read all this, I can't thank you enough and I strongly appreciate any replies. Thanks!

Additional information:
    -I am primarily interested in sheep farming

Thought you might like to read this from Lincoln University. Good luck. At your age you still have it all in front of you, so what you do now will set the stage for the future. It is not unrealistic to be wanting a small piece of property in the future. NZ government at this time is more right wing. Coming from Canada as you do, I doubt if there is anywhere in the South Island that you would find too cold, but the heat in some areas could be another story. A person can get acclimatised if they are here long enough.

Agriculture is the backbone of New Zealand's economy. Scientific research and technological developments have made this country an international leader in the production of many agricultural products.

Graduates intending to enter the agricultural industries will need to be well prepared in the basic and applied sciences, as well as business and management disciplines.

This diploma will prepare graduates for the challenging roles they will play in agriculture, both in New Zealand and overseas.

The traditional role of primary production has changed so dramatically that graduates are sought after in more than the traditional areas of sheep, dairy and arable farming.

The demand for activities that will increase the value of our primary products has resulted in the need for graduates beyond the traditional areas of sheep, dairy and arable farming. They are now sought after in the areas of research, marketing and technology transfer, in service industries allied to the agricultural sector and into positions with Crown Research Institutes, Treasury and into consultancy positions within exporting companies.

Graduates from agriculture programmes are highly sought after both within New Zealand and internationally.

Quote Originally Posted by Fern49 View Post
    Thought you might like to read this from Lincoln University. Good luck. At your age you still have it all in front of you, so what you do now will set the stage for the future. It is not unrealistic to be wanting a small piece of property in the future. NZ government at this time is more right wing. Coming from Canada as you do, I doubt if there is anywhere in the South Island that you would find too cold, but the heat in some areas could be another story. A person can get acclimatised if they are here long enough.
    Thanks for the reply!

I've also read a lot about people who haved moved to NZ to find that there is very little pay, and very high prices, they ended up renting little shacks, and then eventually moving back to where they came from. I tend to not need too much money and am pretty conservative in how much I spend. As well, Canada already has pretty overpriced products.

So is it true that its financially difficult to get by in NZ?

Quote Originally Posted by recordplayer View Post
    I've also read a lot about people who haved moved to NZ to find that there is very little pay, and very high prices, they ended up renting little shacks, and then eventually moving back to where they came from.
    It's all relative. If you've spent the last 10 years working as a manager, receiving a good salary and had a spacious house, then yes, NZ does strike you as expensive and underpaid. I don't think salaries here are bad at all. For instance, my partner who has a bachelor degree and 2 years of IT work experience earns here more than my mum back in Europe with a master's degree, 20+ health sector work experience and being a manager!
    Minimum wage in NZ is $14.25/hour (as of April 1st, 2014). Tax is calculated based on how much you earn, which makes the system fair for those with lower income. Regarding renting shacks - I've done that once and never again. There ARE decent properties around, one just needs to keep an eye out and be determined not to settle for anything less.
    If you're as conservative as you say, I don't think you would struggle financially. I've said it before, people here recklessly spend their money (internet and mobile data charges come to mind first) and then complain how hard it is to get by on a daily basis. For instance, internet service value has largely improved in the last three years I've spent here - all plans used to be capped and very expensive (and then fibre network developed) and Orcon came by with their unlimited plans. Now everyone else has carbon-copied their plans and here we are, enjoying much more reasonably priced internet.
    Check out Pricespy to get a feel how much things cost here. And maybe Seek for salary estimates.

Thanks!

I disagree with the this post.
    There may be many people leaving NZ for Australia, But i think people from any country do the same.
    Its a Nice , peaceful, Beautiful country. I will say way better than many other developed countries.
    For Record, one of my friend who Moved to England always tell me NOT to leave NZ. trust me. He just do not like it there and is moving out soon from there and planning to come back to NZ.
    well every person do have different opinion but NZ is SWEET AS mate !

Please Ignore my previous reply on this post. was not meant to be on this Post.