Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Make Free Calls to the UK and USA - any landline number...

Default How to Make Free Calls to the UK and USA - any landline number...

Been a member for awhile, but been watching this forum for about 18 months now. I moved from the UK in May to NZ.

Ok enough about me. Oh and by the way....I am an avid money saving expert forum reader as well. Ok so whats a "money saving expert reader" well to start with.....if you have family in the UK who want to call you cheaply without using BT check this out for cheapest calls from UK to anywhere...

If you are in the UK or have family there that want to call you in NZ or Aus check this out...

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/callchecker/ this one has a lot of good areas - check out the "quick-grabit now" forum part, its fascinating!

http://www.saynoto0870.com/companysearch.php

OK - so on to making free calls from NZ to USA and UK (EU) -

Ok well first you have to have a PC (you got one - right ? you aren't reading this as a hard copy posted to you I guess ?). Then ideally you should have Broadband or at the very least a dial up connection with a high speed accellerator program.

Ok - then log on to www.voipbuster.com

Download the software and Voila!!

You need a headset with a mike, (about $9.99 from The Warehouse - Dick Smiths is very expensive).

Then add about 5 euros ( don't worry its fine - I use it all the time - its just so you can't make prank calls without being traced).

Then get to it and call FREE

to any landline including 0800 numbers - works on VOIP local exchange PSTN Termination for those of you who understand the GobbletyGook.

OK - now a lot of these little save money quirks exist -

Can we have a valuable Save Money Do This In NZ Thread ?

Look forward to your comments on this friendly money saving tip (not from MacDonalds!!)

Lol

Yep - been using Voipbuster for several months now. The call quality can be a bit ropey now and again, but I think that is more Telecom defending their revenue by causing problems

It is the general concensus that this will not last for too long - the business model does beg the question "How can they fund that?" - but my feeling is - use it as much as you can while its free and then move on when they start charging! Its certainly saved us hundreds of $ so far!

It is actually a swiss (I think?) firm that offers a few versions - there is a French one and then www.voipcheap.co.uk . All the same thing really. The countries that are free change from time to time, so best to be aware of their alternatives and if UK drops off one list - check to see if its still free on another!

Neil

Have you tried SKYPE? we have it at work, you can even buy "Phones" to plug into the PC and use it same as a landline phone, its free to download software, and you can ring anyone with skype for free, and you can collect credits, same as a pay as you go mobile phone and ring BT no's ie land lines at a fraction of the cost.

I am getting my whole family kitted out for xmas and then they cant moan that it will cost a bomb to stay in touch.

We talk to clients in China, Poland France, and it is clear as a bell, there maybe a bit of a delay sometimes but only a fraction of a second.

and you can message same as MSN and smileys etc.

www.skype.com - hope its ok to post this :-)

Skype is the best for P2P, but why pay even the low Skype Out rates to UK landlines, when you can install VoipBuster alongside and get those calls for free? Combine the 2 and then you have the best of both worlds

Neil

When still in the UK I too was a big fan of "Martins Money Tips"
    Does anyone know if there is a Kiwi equivalent?

Good tip that one will download the software and give it a go .
    Thanks

Hi all,
    The quality of Skype doesn't seem to be great everywhere.
    Why not just use Google Talk - free and high quality.
    Tried it in Holland - GREAT RESULT!!
    Regards,
    Anita

Thanks for bringing my attention to VoipBuster. I installed it a couple of days ago, plugged in my headphones/mic and up up and away. Over the last 48 hours I've worked my way through a large chunk of my phone book - some conversations to mates in the UK lasting over 2 hours - all for zilch !!!!!

At worst the person on the other end said I sounded like I was talking on a hands free set (which of course I was) - at best they said that I sounded as clear as a bell as if I was calling from a landline next door !!!!!!

This will knock a BIG chunk off our monthly expences. I wonder how long we'll be able to do this before some jobsworth realises that Joe Public is getting something for free.

For anybody who's not yet signed up I would advise you GO FOR IT !!!!

Diny

No problem - it has saved us a chunk as well !

Neil

I live in the states at the moment but we are planning to move over in January. I have a business in the States that will continue while I am here so because of that and a few other reasons we are going with Vonage, a VOIP solution. For about $30 a month we will maintain our Utah phone number and have unlimited long distance calling...that is long distance in the States as it thinks it is calling from UT. This way our family and friends here in the States don't have to call internationally or change our phone number. And my business can easily and cheaply call me when needed!

Smile Excellent!!

Hey Diny,

I've been watching all your posts for ages - really glad this works for you.

Saved me a lot as well.

Regards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast