Thread: Sponsoring a Partner to live in New Zealand

Default Sponsoring a Partner to live in New Zealand

Hi Everyone.
    I have been looking on this site for advise and questions/answers regarding myself and my partners up coming options.
    We meet in Canada while I was on my OE and we lived together for about 1 month and 10ish days. We moved in together as we wanted to be closer to each other and the usual partner reasons.
    My Working Holiday Visa came to end and had to leave Canada and we said our goodbyes knowing she would come to NZ to live after finishing her studies. Which is in May 2014 (this year)

During our time apart we remain as partners and Skype, Facebook etc regularly (our Facebook message history is 700 pages long)
    When she arrives she will be on her Working Holiday Visa which is valid for a year when she first arrives in NZ. She will live with me at the same address. We will change accounts and bills into shared names and open an account to pay rent and bills into so when it comes to the application its all there going into one account and out of the same account to bills etc.

Anyway, my main question is this.
    We will apply for the Partners Visa while she is in New Zealand, at the time of application we will have 12 months of living together. However she will have probably about 1 month and a little bit longer while they process the visa. Can a processing visa be given to her so she doesn't have to leave NZ if they have not made a decision by the 1 month mark. According to the INZ website processing takes around 25 days and visas can be issued while processing is taking place but is a case by case. What were the processing times for others in the fourm some say 2 weeks other say 2 months. Do applications from within NZ with both applicants in the country at the time of application get priority so processing times could be say 2 - 3 weeks?

Also on the application form she will be in New Zealand at the time of application. The form she fills out is the INZ1000 Residence Application. Do I complete the "partners personal details" even though I'm all ready in NZ and not travelling with her and I'm a NZ Citizen. (as we are both all ready in NZ when we apply) silly questions I know but would rather ask here then bother the Immigration Call Centre...

Also, She has to complete the medical which is fine, do I have to complete this as well and get the chest x-ray and blood work or is that just for new non citizens/non residents to complete

Also just to clarify

"However she will have probably about 1 month and a little bit longer while they process the visa." What i meant to say was that her Working Holiday visa will have about 1 month left before it expires

Can a processing visa be given to her so she doesn't have to leave NZ if they have not made a decision by the 1 month mark.
    There's no such thing as a processing visa. You wouldn't have any call for fast-tracking, no. And as she would be applying for Residence, she wouldn't be eligible for an interim visa, either. The timing you're talking about would be bound to be so tight as to be practically impossible, and your partner would end up facing awkward choices about possibly overstaying. What INZ would probably recommend is that she should apply for a partner-sponsored temporary work visa http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...am.htm#citizen rather earlier in her stay (they take those seriously with about two months minimum of partnership proof), which would give her 12 months from the date of grant of the visa. Then, any time from when you had the 12 months, she could put in for Residence, with no rush on the process.

Hi JandM
    Thanks for your reply.

I take it the partner-sponsored temp work visa can be completed and sent in for processing even if she is currently in New Zealand on a working holiday at the same address as me...

Yes. As you can imagine, it very often happens that someone on a WHV meets their NZ partner and doesn't want to go back again.

Very much so, I'm sure INZ aren't heartbreakers so long as you play by the rules which is what we want to do.
    Thanks again for your time,

Here's some homework for you https://www.google.co.uk/#q=site:enz...tnership+proof - a clutch of old threads about the various kinds of partnership proof. It's advisable to have different sorts, from the very outset of living together, and to keep adding to your collection so every major social incident is there, and every week of your relationship is documented in some way as being the two of you still together. Keep this up even when you have put in your application, because it's common for a CO to ask for more proof just before a visa is issued - they don't want to issue a visa to anyone who is not still in a relationship. And you will still need the early part of your proof, and the continuity right through, when you come to apply for Residence, and while that is being processed as well.

All the best.