Thread: Sending parcels to New Zealand

Default Sending parcels to New Zealand

My daughter is currently working in New Zealand on a year working holiday visa, she has asked me to send her some of her clothes over as she only took a rucksack, what is the best way of sending a box of say up to 10kg of clothes, which freight company is best and what document ect are needed? It is only clothes no other personal effects and all her own used ones, will tax have to be paid? Any help appreciated, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by RockHopper View Post
    My daughter is currently working in New Zealand on a year working holiday visa, she has asked me to send her some of her clothes over as she only took a rucksack, what is the best way of sending a box of say up to 10kg of clothes, which freight company is best and what document ect are needed? It is only clothes no other personal effects and all her own used ones, will tax have to be paid? Any help appreciated, thank you
    Hi

I normally get parcels sent over by Royal Mail, but there may be a cheaper option. In the past few weeks, they seem to be getting here in 3-4 days!

No tax needs to be paid, just ensure you don't put the value greater then 100 pounds on the customs forms.

http://www.parcel2go.com/ can be good.

Make sure to put on the declaration that the clothes are used and her own property. And don't put in anything you don't declare, even harmless stuff - be aware that all parcels are routinely scanned at the mail centre on arrival in NZ. Anything that doesn't look as if it matches the description can be opened.

Default Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    http://www.parcel2go.com/ can be good.

Make sure to put on the declaration that the clothes are used and her own property. And don't put in anything you don't declare, even harmless stuff - be aware that all parcels are routinely scanned at the mail centre on arrival in NZ. Anything that doesn't look as if it matches the description can be opened.
    Thank you both for your suggestions, I think the best bet is to post it from the UK when we go over (we live in Jersey where I have been quoted anywhere between 123 with Jersey post and over 200 with UPS) we always get stung for extra freight charges over here.

How about sending her some money to buy new clothes? Just a thought...

Reading this with interest as we are moving back to nz in January! Would parcel2go be good for boxes of clothes and some household things like bedding or pans? Or would it be better to get a share in a container for those kinds of things??
    Thanks for your help!